Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Jase's USS Olympia Options
jase
#1 Posted : 22 April 2014 21:32:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Welcome to my build diary of the USS Olympia. [his is a very old kit from Revell that has been given a revamp with Squadron etch and AK deck veneers along with some resin parts and brass barrels. She is not a huge kit 1:232 scale 45cm long.

You can find a kit review at this link

GluedFingers
#2 Posted : 22 April 2014 21:42:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, registriert

Oooh,

I made this one about thirty years ago! (Well, the old Revell edition)

I read about this new version so I am definitely going to follow this one, Jase!

Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot

Adrie
'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list
jase
#3 Posted : 22 April 2014 21:52:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

GluedFingers wrote:
Oooh,

I made this one about thirty years ago! (Well, the old Revell edition)

I read about this new version so I am definitely going to follow this one, Jase!

Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot

Adrie

Cool I hope it brings back some good memories. Its a surprisingly good kit for its age, but I have not got to trying part fit yetLaugh

Jase
GluedFingers
#4 Posted : 22 April 2014 22:08:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

BigGrin BigGrin

If I remember correctly, the fit was somewhat loose. But I remember this one because I used a spray gun for the first time and my mom told me off severly because she kept finding white dust on her cloth when she dusted the house.

Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing

Mind you, they were good memories. Smile

Adrie.

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
stevie_o
#5 Posted : 22 April 2014 23:17:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#6 Posted : 23 April 2014 23:05:21

Build kicks off with the base. The supplied base is a piece of pine with two solid brass stands. I simply rubbed down the wood with micro mesh and sealed with a matt coat of varnish. The holes were pre-drilled so the stands could just be screwed in and the etch name plate was attached using Zapp Gel CA which gives you a bit of time to place the etch before it sets.

The first step in the instructions is to replace the 10 hull mounted gun barrels with brass, I have skipped that for now and moved straight to the hull. First comment about the hull is that it is covered in plates and rivets that don't resemble how this ship looks today. the hull should be smooth. I looked at the feasibility of this but it would mean removing a lot of other detail such as hatches and rungs which i could replace with evergreen card and the scuttle rims which would be more difficult to replace. On reflection I have decided to go with the easy option and levee it.

That said it has taken 2 hours tonight to to clean up the first half of the hull. The posts along the top have been removed and the surface sanded smooth, these will be replaced by etch railings. The scuttles have been drilled out as i intend to glaze them. The two little pips under each gun port have been removed and sanded smooth. The life belt cages at the rear have been removed as they will be replaced with etch. The moulded on coat of arms will be replaced with etch also so had to be carefully removed and finally the torpedo tube at the bow has been milled down ready for the resin replacement. Finally the two location pins moulded to the keel have been removed. fortunately these are in exact alignment with the stands on the base so was easy to file two half circles in ready for bolting to the stand.

That is it for nowBigGrin
Gandale
#7 Posted : 24 April 2014 08:18:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Looks an interesting kit Jase, will be following as usual... Good luck with her... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#8 Posted : 27 April 2014 08:11:24

Gandale wrote:
Looks an interesting kit Jase, will be following as usual... Good luck with her... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thank you Alan
jase
#9 Posted : 27 April 2014 08:40:26

Next update...

The hull sides fit together surprisingly well there are location lugs at the bow and stern which help.

The rudder is the wrong shape and the instructions ask you to modify the rudder and fill the gap. A resin block is supplied to fill the gap in the stern.

There are 10 6 pounder guns in the hull sides. Brass barrels replace the original moulded plastic ones and certainly improve the look. Once the barrels are replaced the gun emplacements just snap into position, which is how they were presented on the original kit so they were fully traversable. The kit comes with etch which improves the finished look dramatically, but at a cost of fixing the guns in position.

As well as the resin block for the stern there are 2 resin torpedo tubes to be fitted. he stern tube is omitted on the original kit so is a simple fit and fill. The bow tube replaces the one moulded into the hull, so the hull needs sanding down to receive the resin replacement.

The bow deck fit was really good. I have sanded off as much of the deck raised lines as possible ready for the wood overlay, but the deck lines are very fine so not an issue.

The stern deck has a small gap but fit is still good, again the deck has been sanded.

There is some small sink on the 6 pounder tops to fill and the two resin acres to add and then the hull assembly is ready for prime and paintCool I have to say compared to other old kits I have built recently this is proving to be a much less problematic build - so farLOL

Jase
GluedFingers
#10 Posted : 27 April 2014 10:37:48

It is looking good, Jase. ThumpUpThumpUp

The barrels do make a lot of difference as well as the shields.

Keep at it, I'll continue following!!

Adrie

jase
#11 Posted : 27 April 2014 20:09:50

GluedFingers wrote:
It is looking good, Jase. ThumpUpThumpUp

The barrels do make a lot of difference as well as the shields.

Keep at it, I'll continue following!!

Adrie

many thanks for your comments and looking in. some pics of the painted hull and mor etch coming soonBigGrin Cool

Jase
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 27 April 2014 21:35:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

BigGrin The etch as always makes a great improvment as an old Kit it seams to have been revamped with some thought
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

jase
#13 Posted : 27 April 2014 22:41:03

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin The etch as always makes a great improvment as an old Kit it seams to have been revamped with some thought
regards
AndyCool

Yes I would agree. if you wanted to spend the time there is more you could do to pack in extra detail and some structural changes that could be done, but this is just going in my office at work so bit of a kit bash this time BigGrin

Thanks for looking in
stevie_o
#14 Posted : 27 April 2014 22:42:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#15 Posted : 28 April 2014 13:00:44

stevie_o wrote:
Those guns look great Jase, they are going to make a real difference - I like the hull panelling too, look forward to more of this one.
Steve

Thanks for looking in Steve, I think this is an atractive little kitLove

J
Tony C
#16 Posted : 28 April 2014 19:19:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK Jase, I'll bite, where on earth do you find these kits? Having said that it looks as though it could be an excellent model.
Regards,
Tony.
Gandale
#17 Posted : 28 April 2014 22:16:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Looking great Jase, nice work.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

jase
#18 Posted : 29 April 2014 07:36:34

Tony C wrote:
OK Jase, I'll bite, where on earth do you find these kits? Having said that it looks as though it could be an excellent model.
Regards,
Tony.

LOL LOL LOL Yes she is going to be a little stunner when done I think.
jase
#19 Posted : 29 April 2014 07:37:22

Gandale wrote:
Looking great Jase, nice work.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan Smile
Hans
#20 Posted : 29 April 2014 10:16:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely choice and job there Jase. I do believe you will make something special. Following with interest.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,HMS Victory Cross Section
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!