Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Jase's Hobby Boss 1/35 Sd.Kfz.221 Options
jase
#21 Posted : 18 October 2014 18:32:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Nemesis wrote:
Certainly coming to life now, weathering and detailing are superb![biggrin]

Thanks Nem for looking in, and the comments, more coming soon.
Gandale
#22 Posted : 19 October 2014 09:34:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Looking fab Jase, looking fab....[drool] [drool]

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
dandare
#23 Posted : 19 October 2014 12:39:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

truly beautiful job Jase
looks amazing so far

regards
Dan
Built MP4/23, Zero, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer.
working on Senna Mp4/4.
on the bench, Model Airways Camel, Deagostini Falcon, AMT Falcon (for weathering practice), AMT Speeder
jase
#24 Posted : 19 October 2014 16:23:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Many thanks for the kind words Dan. Its certainly good fun [biggrin] [cool]

jase
jase
#25 Posted : 19 October 2014 16:24:24

Gandale wrote:
Looking fab Jase, looking fab....[drool] [drool]

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan[cool]
arpurchase
#26 Posted : 19 October 2014 18:32:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

[biggrin] Nice work[cool]
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

stevie_o
#27 Posted : 19 October 2014 18:36:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#28 Posted : 21 October 2014 23:05:13

Many thanks for looking in Andy and Steve,

Quick update, with the masking off done i have pushed on with some of the sub assembly builds.

The four wheel guards will be primed and base coated separately and assembled prior to weathering. There are some nice details around the rivets and checker plate steps. the etch flaps are a nice touch. I have purposely bent one of the etch number plates.

One of the rear guards mounts a gerry can. I wasn't happy with either the supplied can or the mounting of it, Hobby Boss appear to be of the impression that the Wehrmacht used magic to keep it in place[laugh] I replaced the can with one from the Tamiya can and drum accessories. I fabricated a can cradle from some scrap etch (never throw anything away[biggrin] ) and I will add a stand tap for good measure.

The Gun mount base is a nice easy build although care is needed with setting the seat.

Other separate items are the spare wheel and doors which will both be modelled open.

more soon

Jase
Nemesis
#29 Posted : 22 October 2014 00:27:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Some nice touches going on with this build. I like the scratch built water cradle and the Tamiya water can is a nice upgrade. Superb work and a pleasure to watch.[thumbup] [biggrin]
davetwin
#30 Posted : 22 October 2014 07:12:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

This is really coming along nicely Jase, some great work on your part [thumbup]
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 22 October 2014 12:21:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, registriert

Jase

This is proving to be a very good value for money kit with all the detail and parts you get in the box. See you are adding to this but even oo the box it's a good one.
Happy Modelling

Tony
stevie_o
#32 Posted : 22 October 2014 13:49:21

Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#33 Posted : 22 October 2014 19:46:23

Thanks all for looking in.

Yes the Box kit is good. you could ad etch fasteners on the storage boxes and some of the tools etc. Also the interior mesh between the engine and cabin could be replaced to for real mesh. but a satisfying kit for the price.

Jase
jase
#34 Posted : 02 November 2014 17:56:49

The engine block and radiator were both sprayed matt black as a base. the radiator was then given some brass chipping and dry brushing. the engine block was given a wash of red brown and a dusting with brown pastel chalk. i picked out a couple of bits in different colours just for contracts and pinter all the rubber belts in dark grey, again just for contrast.

with this done the two masked off halves could be joined and then given a second prime.

While that was all drying i turned my attention to the jerry can and exhausts. I had been toying with the idea of adding a sand yellow door as if it had been replaced but there had not been time to paint it up, instead i have chosen to do the jerry can in yellow as this is quite likely to have been changed from time to time, the yellow will brake up the dark Panzer grey i think and it is also easier to weather.
With the can painted Tamiya Desert yellow. i weathered the can with a pencil, paying special attention to the areas where it would rub in its cradle.

next was the two exhausts. they were given a liberal coat of Red Brown and while still wet i sprinkled baking powder over them and allowed to dry. this gives a lumpy texture like old flaky rust. ideal for exists manifolds rusty gates etc. once dry the ehusts were dabbed with a mix of 1 part fire red, 1 part black and one part thinner using a number 5 round brush. dabbing prevents moving the backing powder about. once this was dry i used an orange red pastel chalk applied with an old stubby brush to ad some colour variation. i used black pastel chalk for the exhaust blackening.

The two headlamps have also been assembled. i wanted on of them to have suffered water ingress so after painting the inner reflector Tamiya chrome silver I dropped a drop of brick red artists ink in one of them and a light dust of orange pastel. once the lenses were on it looked ok

Finally I airbrushed the hull and my sub assembles with two coats of German grey and carefully removed all the masking. engine looks suitably weathered and I am happy to report no spray seepage into the cab [biggrin] all the nice weld seams are more prominent under paint too

dandare
#35 Posted : 02 November 2014 18:11:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

fantastic work Jase
loving the engine bay

Regards
Dan
Built MP4/23, Zero, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer.
working on Senna Mp4/4.
on the bench, Model Airways Camel, Deagostini Falcon, AMT Falcon (for weathering practice), AMT Speeder
jase
#36 Posted : 02 November 2014 18:51:13

dandare wrote:
fantastic work Jase
loving the engine bay

Regards
Dan

Thanks Dan for looking in, glad tou like😁
davetwin
#37 Posted : 02 November 2014 20:20:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Fantastic work Jase

As some new to weathering I really like how you explain your weathering techniques each step of the way [thumbup]
arpurchase
#38 Posted : 02 November 2014 21:30:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

[biggrin] Nicely done there[cool]
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

Martyn Ingram
#39 Posted : 02 November 2014 23:19:57

[biggrin] Wow stunning work on the weathering m8 [thumbup] Rgd Martyn
Building Panther V
Completed. Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe
Next build ???
Gandale
#40 Posted : 02 November 2014 23:28:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Outstanding work jase, beautiful example of weathering.....[drool] [drool] [drool]

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe