Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
The mighty Hood Options
jase
#1 Posted : 25 October 2010 00:14:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

This is trumpeters highly acclaimed kit. depicting Hood as she was sunk. I have used an aftermarket laser cut real wood deck to achieve a greater sense of reality. there are some minor issues with part fit and I am upgrading the kit with photo etch so i can get open hatches and so on. the signal walkway a new feature added at the final refit is missing so I fabricated them from plastic card.
Zeptrader
#2 Posted : 25 October 2010 05:37:06

Groups:

Brilliant, I always wanted to have this kit, expensive but worth it.

Keep the pictures coming Jase.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 25 October 2010 08:13:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

Arn't the 'Ood' in Doctor Who? BigGrin
jase
#4 Posted : 25 October 2010 23:48:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Zeptrader wrote:
Brilliant, I always wanted to have this kit, expensive but worth it.

Keep the pictures coming Jase.

yep this kit is defo the best on the market Trumpeter spent a lot of time with the hood association getting it correct. not to expensive though kit, deck etch and paint around £140BigGrin

I think a must have for any hood enthusiast!!!!
jase
#5 Posted : 07 November 2010 11:14:42

I have removed the molded on anchor chain and replaced with actual chain and added some photo etch detail to the bow

also some work on the superstructure again using photo etch to increase the detail
jonny7england
#6 Posted : 07 November 2010 16:07:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, registriert

Very nice in deed Jase..Very nice in deed mate...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Zeptrader
#7 Posted : 07 November 2010 19:30:24

Groups:

Just thought I'd add my family's adventure on the HMS Hood.
My greatgrandfather Arthur Whelan joined the Hood on 13th August 1922 till 14th May 1923, and during this time the Hood departed from Deveonport for Gibraltar, this was part of the Battle Cruiser Squadron Brazilian and West Indies Cruise.

During September of 1922 they arrived at Rio de Janeiro, at this time they (Hood's crew) participated in an international sports competition for which my greatgradfather was part of (I was told by my father Arthur was a keen sportsman, boxing being a favourite)

This picture was taken in Rio during the sports event.

HMS Hood's Athletic Party, Rio de Janeiro, September 3rd 1922
Second row from back, 3rd from right.

In this picture is my greatgrandfather Arthur Whelan

Close up from crew photo above, showing Arthur.

I have found footage of this Rio visit and to my amazement what I think could well be my greatgradfather.
This link is to the Pathe web site with all the footage of HMS Hood, you'll notice a lot from the Rio trip.

http://www.britishpathe....lts.php?search=HMS+Hood

Now this is the gem footage link, at the end there are presentaion of cup, I have added still from this for you to see, first the footage.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=80545

Just look at the size of those gun, jeez!

And here are a series of still with who I think is my greatgradfather.

The last picture shows Arthur Whelan on HMS Hood as above and 2 stills from the footage either side, I will never know but I like the idea and can live with the fact that this is him.

The Hood arrived back at Devonport on 14th May and the next day 15th May till 21st June was taken in hand for a refit.

If you can get hold of this book, its invaluable, just a brilliant book.

I always had a fascination for the HMS Hood, I now know why:)
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Forgot to mention about the colour footage, check my blog and scroll down, you'll see the full dates of Arthurs journey plus a write up on the colour footage.
http://rowehistory.blogs...search/label/HMS%20Hood

Britain's Birthright
(rolls 1, 2, 4 & 6)"
UK 1925 "35mm (tinted, toned)"
Royal Navy Special Service Squadron Empire Tour.
jase
#8 Posted : 07 November 2010 20:27:44

this is fantastically interesting. it is great when you find thing out about your grandparents navel history. my grandfather and his two brothers all joined the navy before the war. My grandfather served on destroyers during the war HMS Anthony and HMS Kilchrenan. Imagine my joy to find that the Kilchrenan is still in service!! as a cruse liner in Finland!!!. Anthony was of coarse with hood when she was sunk his brother was serving on KG5 present when Bismarck was sunk. the other brother drowned at see aged 19 on the HMS Dutches when the Bahram collided with her. my grandfather is still with us I interviewed him last year about his career its quite amazing.

I would really like to model Hood in your grandfathers period she was bristling with guns and had steam launches. for me her original configuration is the most eye catching.
Zeptrader
#9 Posted : 07 November 2010 20:34:49

Groups:

Cheers Jase, glad you found it interesting, I do have some things (shhh) maybe PM and give me your email address, to wet your appetite they are some pdf of how to model the HMS Hood in various years, 1920, 1931 and 1941, plus some other bits.

willie
#10 Posted : 20 March 2011 08:22:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

HACHETTE IS DOING THIS ONE THE COMPANY THAT DID THE BISMARK CHECK IT OUT AT W.W.W.BUILDABATTLESHIP.CO I HAVE MY FIRST PARTS- NOTHING TO DO WITH DEAGOSTINI
frogy
#11 Posted : 20 March 2011 09:59:13

willie wrote:
HACHETTE IS DOING THIS ONE THE COMPANY THAT DID THE BISMARK CHECK IT OUT AT W.W.W.BUILDABATTLESHIP.CO I HAVE MY FIRST PARTS- NOTHING TO DO WITH DEAGOSTINI

Ive just signed up, we will have to see what happens.
Simon
Michael68
#12 Posted : 21 March 2011 10:35:30

frogy wrote:
willie wrote:

Ive just signed up, we will have to see what happens.

I just called Hachette, and they told me it is a test HmmmmmmBlink
captainsharky
#13 Posted : 21 March 2011 10:41:34

Yea, Hachette just confirmed it is a TEST. I'm going to wait for Deagostini's one.
jase
#14 Posted : 26 October 2011 20:45:04

A bit more progress on my hood. I generally find the best policy when working on complicated models id to start in the middle and work out. stop you damaging the delicate rails as you go.

MWG
#15 Posted : 26 October 2011 21:59:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

very nice build JaseBigGrin Cool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

jase
#16 Posted : 12 August 2012 19:59:28

Well it has been some time since i did some work on Hood. but got in the right frame of mind and moved her on a bit. the forward superstructure needs major reworking as the deck levels are all wrong to the post 1939 refit. In fact I am not aware of any production kit in any medium that has the decks correct!!Confused I am woking through this now quite time consuming but fun BigGrin

arpurchase
#17 Posted : 12 August 2012 21:45:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

BigGrin Nice work JaseCool
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#18 Posted : 03 February 2013 19:22:58

A bit more progress on Hood. Nothing like the arrival of a huge kit to focus your mind!! The bow is now finished less main guns and rails which will be added at the end.

jase
#19 Posted : 10 February 2013 08:56:15

The first stack has now been completed. Just a small amount of etch so very quick build of this sub assembly.

I have also completed 1 of the three Pom-Pom emplacements. I have not used all the etch supplied as i felt some of the kit parts looked better Cool The Kit Pom-Pom is very good and the etch ammunition feeds were very fiddly for not much gain so i settled with using the perforated base plate and rails.

The rear mast and crane has come together from a combination of the kit parts and two etch sets Eduard and some leftovers I have from an old White Ensign 1/350 resin hood that was fatly damaged in a house move!!Crying

The etch pulleys come in the kit I removed the plastic hook assembly and replaced with the Eduard etch. The various platforms are all Eduard as are all the railings except on the spotting top as the Edurd part was too short Huh so I used some White Ensign railing. The mast top was replaced with Eduard Etch but the etched rigging is White Ensign. Under paint the finished result is really goodBigGrin

Mine guns next I think!!Cool
Tomick
#20 Posted : 10 February 2013 09:02:05

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

Week dine Jase, the added detail certainly transforms it into something special Cool