Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Different model brands Options
Erik A
#1 Posted : 08 July 2018 10:20:10

Groups: Registered

Hi all.
So I'm looking at making a comeback into the world of modeling and initially was looking at the Vasa and or the Sovereign of the seas. It was then recommended to tackle a smaller easier ship first. So after looking at the offerings here had it narrowed down to the Virginia schooner.
I carried on reading the various posts here and the victory was offered up as a first time build option due to the excellent instructions.
My question is in two parts

1. I have the option of getting a complete Victory here on a local auction website for about $500 nzd cheaper than getting it from the UK. UK price is about $1500nzd.do I go with this or do I get it and also do the smaller model e.g. the Virginia schooner

2. How do the various other brands stack up against the de agostini models. E.g. Billings, Artesania Latina etc?

Regards Erik
Tomick
#2 Posted : 08 July 2018 11:10:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

You need to be aware that the Artesania Victory retail kit at your local retailer has only a passing resemblance to the DeAgostini Partwork version.

There is much about the retail kit it does not have, such as 3 additional ships boats, deck figurines, optional cutaway and various elements are more accurate and updated on the DeAgostini partwork version. Also the instructions are second to none and aimed at making a complex build being achievable by the novice.

You will also discover that the instructions manual of the retail kit is very hard going as its written in a manner that you have previous experience of such builds, which for the novice modeller generally ends up with a struggle to complete.

Its always best to start with a smaller build and work up.

All DeAgostini period ship partwork product is developed either by Artesania Latina or Occre, both are leading designers and manufacturers in their field.

Partwork kits are developed with the novice in mind, thus the instructions simplified to make a complex build such as HMS Victory, achievable by the novice.

You'll find that the majority of off-shelf retail kits from Artesania, Billings, Occre and Amati etc etc, leave a lot to be desired in conveying to the novice what is required.

If you are looking for a good route into period ship building then possibly the Partwork route is the best route for the novice., simple reason being that the instructions are simplified and there is a wealth of expert backup in terms of construction and guidance.

I would not recommend that any novice take on the Artesania HMS Victory retail kit as a first build, its aimed at those that have experience of other period ship builds.

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 08 July 2018 11:15:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Hi Erik , and firstly, welcome to the forum.
I had read you previous post about this , and at the time, I was going to put forward the Victory as your first model to try. With the instructions, knowledge base on the forum, and quality of the kit I felt you could do a lot worse.

Regarding buying from eBay or from Modelspace, you pays your money and takes your chance. Just don’t forget if you get a broken part, or item missing, you can’t then go back to eBay for replacements, which you can get from Modelspace.

As to other brands, like anything, they all have good and bad points. Billings I would definitely not recommend to a beginner. Their instructions need a lot of ‘interpretation’ . Artesania are good kits, in fact some of the Modelspace kits are based on theirs.

Personally, I would get one from Modelspace. The quality is second to none, and knowledge base of this forum is priceless

Just my opinion, but hope this helps.

Regards Gray
Forum Support Team

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

Current Builds: 1/12 Spitfire, 1/90 Santisima Trinidad, 1/60 Sultan Arab Dhow, 1/72 Airfix Vulcan, Ugears U9 Grand Prix Car
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 08 July 2018 11:58:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

BigGrin Hi Erik I would definitely agree with what's been said. Corel and Billings have very poor instructions and beware Chinese copy's as a friend of mine bought one and the quality was rubbish Angry . One I would suggest is the San Felipe as I found it a lovely kit to build with brilliant instructions, I did make it harder for myself by doing a custom job on it LOL
But as an introduction to period ships it's a good one to start with Cool
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building Santisima Trinidad X section
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel Wasa
Next Build Deag Vasa
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
jase
#5 Posted : 08 July 2018 18:13:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

It’s easy to fall in love with a model kit then find you struggle with it. The danger is you either make a mess of it or give up on it either way its a lot of money down the pan.

You could get away with victory as a first build but the likly result is that you may not make as good a job of it having not practiced on smaller kit
Stash (not started) = 47, Stash (started) = 17, Live Builds = 3, Built since 1979 = 168
Erik A
#6 Posted : 08 July 2018 18:46:31

Thanks all

Just clarify the victory is a deagostini partworks that someone has collected and has not done. Just bought and stored. I'm thinking that I will do the smaller one first and build up to a bigger one

Thanks again for the replies
Gandale
#7 Posted : 08 July 2018 21:33:51

Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Erik A wrote:
Thanks all

Just clarify the victory is a deagostini partworks that someone has collected and has not done. Just bought and stored. I'm thinking that I will do the smaller one first and build up to a bigger one

Thanks again for the replies

Think you are making the right decision Erik, something smaller first to build up your skills and knowledge of what to expect during assembly.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Erik A
#8 Posted : 10 July 2018 03:20:09

have been reading the threads and in particular the build logs. WOW there are some seriously talented people here. in particular Bernds Victory all i can say is WOW WOW WOW. to have half that talent would be amazing.

another question. what sort of hours would the average build take.. ie a victory or the like. i saw on a constitution build that was up over 1400hrs and not complete.?

and just thought of another question. i see in the build logs that a few of them just peter out and dont appear to be completed? is this the case or do people just not bother with posting the completed builds?
Tomick
#9 Posted : 10 July 2018 06:12:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

Completion timeframe of any model is down to how much time you want to spend on it’s build, quality of build, ability and kit complexity. But on average, a Victory kit would take around 2,000 hours or 1-2 years which is why a Partwork works well as they are are generally spread over 2 years and your not daunted by a huge box of wood., it’s not meant to be a race and and museum quality builds can take many thousands of hours to complete., we have a few on the forum that are still building the DeAgostini Victory, 8 years after it was released.

Forum modellers come and go which means that some builds are left incomplete and others have a break to do another kit in between or shelve a project to come back to it at a later point.
Erik A
#10 Posted : 10 July 2018 08:37:20

Thanks..
Erik A
#11 Posted : 11 July 2018 01:27:01

so i have another question and not sure if this is the best place to ask.

when i go to place an order for the virginia Schooner it comes up as 69.99 pounds for the kit and 99 pounds for delivery

if i do the same for the Dhow it comes up as 79.99 pounds for the kit and 30 pounds for delivery.

why the difference in delivery cost? the difference in model size is not that great. just curious
Tomick
#12 Posted : 11 July 2018 06:08:26

Erik A wrote:
so i have another question and not sure if this is the best place to ask.

when i go to place an order for the virginia Schooner it comes up as 69.99 pounds for the kit and 99 pounds for delivery

if i do the same for the Dhow it comes up as 79.99 pounds for the kit and 30 pounds for delivery.

why the difference in delivery cost? the difference in model size is not that great. just curious
This does seem odd, I’ve asked logistics to investigate.

Update - it’s a site error, if you email internationalshipping@model-space.com they will be able to provide all the shipping info you need