Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Doyusha 1/100 Concorde build Options
jase
#1 Posted : 14 October 2013 20:24:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Another build diary launch for me in 2014!

The 1/100 scale Concorde is manufactured by the Japanese company Doyusha. Doyusha had a reputation for good quality detailed kits and their Concorde kit is a rare find these days, so I'm looking forward to this.

A lot of people don't realise that the basic Concorde design actually came from a British fighter, the Fairy Delta2. It had the drop nose and the delta wing, in 1957 it held the air speed record. I worked at Fairy for a short while and they still talk about it today [biggrin]

Here is some history and kit picks.

The Fairey Delta 2 or FD2 (internal designation Type V within Fairey) was a British supersonic research aircraft produced by the Fairey Aviation Company in response to a specification from the Ministry of Supply for investigation into flight and control at transonic and supersonic speeds.
The aircraft was the first to exceed 1000 mph, and held the World Air Speed Record for over a year.
The design was a mid-wing tailless delta monoplane, with a circular cross-section fuselage and engine air-inlets blended into the wing roots. The engine was a Rolls-Royce Avon RA.14R with an afterburner. The Delta 2 had a very long tapering nose which obscured forward vision during landing, take-off and movement on the ground. To compensate, the nose section and cockpit drooped 10°, in a similar way to that used later on Concorde. Two aircraft were built: Serial numbers WG774 and WG777.
The FD2 was used as the basis for Fairey's submissions to the Ministry for advanced all weather interceptor designs leading to the Fairey Delta 3 for the F.155 specification, but it never got past the drawing board stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...h_08.09.56_edited-2.jpg

Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde is a retired turbojet-powered supersonic passenger airliner or supersonic transport (SST). It is one of only two SSTs to have entered commercial service; the other was the Tupolev Tu-144. Concorde was jointly developed and produced by Aérospatiale and the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) under an Anglo-French treaty. First flown in 1969, Concorde entered service in 1976 and continued commercial flights for 27 years.
Among other destinations, Concorde flew regular transatlantic flights from London Heathrow and Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport to New York JFK and Washington Dulles; it profitably flew these routes in less than half the time of other airliners. With only 20 aircraft built, the development of Concorde was a substantial economic loss; Air France and British Airways also received considerable government subsidies to purchase them. Concorde was retired in 2003 due to a general downturn in the aviation industry after the type's only crash in 2000, the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001 and a decision by Airbus, the successor firm of Aérospatiale and BAC, to discontinue maintenance support.
Concorde's name reflects the development agreement between the United Kingdom and France. In the UK, any or all of the type—unusual for an aircraft—are known simply as "Concorde", without an article. The aircraft is regarded by many people as an aviation icon and an engineering marvel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6OCuJZ9bX4

Warthog
#2 Posted : 14 October 2013 20:31:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Looking forward to this one [drool] are there any aftermarket parts available? Undercarriage etc?
jase
#3 Posted : 14 October 2013 20:37:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Tomick
#4 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:10:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds

This kit is the Concorde prototype based on the actual blue prints. The nose and the tail are quite different from the one we came to know.

Bet you wish it was this baby..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVsR9tUyno
jase
#5 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:19:28

Tomick wrote:
This kit is the Concorde prototype based on the actual blue prints. The nose and the tail are quite different from the one we came to know.

Bet you wish it was this baby..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVsR9tUyno

Now that is nice [drool]
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:26:08

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

[biggrin] look forward to your build Jase
[cool]
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#7 Posted : 25 February 2014 23:08:08

Concorde is under way[cool]

I am starting the build with the engine assembly. The rear section of the engine nacelle is black plastic to represent the 'hot' end of the engines. The first sub assembles are built up ready for filling and clean up. There is a bit of sink to sort and some flash but nothing thats a major problem.

Tomick
#8 Posted : 26 February 2014 13:47:02

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds

Good to see someone having a go at building this iconic aircraft [cool]
tf64
#9 Posted : 26 February 2014 14:11:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts

Hi Jase,
Good start to this build will follow as you build,this will bring back past times to me as I happened to have worked at BAC in my early days.I worked on the tail section.

Trev.

Building:

H.M.S.Victory / H.M.S. Victory Cross Section / De-Agostini Spitfire.

Under the bench: De-Ago Bremen. Sovereign of the Seas.

stevie_o
#10 Posted : 26 February 2014 19:40:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#11 Posted : 26 February 2014 21:39:56

tf64 wrote:
Hi Jase,
Good start to this build will follow as you build,this will bring back past times to me as I happened to have worked at BAC in my early days.I worked on the tail section.

Trev.

Nice, I better do it justice then [biggrin]

Jase
jase
#12 Posted : 26 February 2014 21:40:57

stevie_o wrote:
Been waiting to see this one started Jase, look forward to seeing it come together[biggrin]
Steve

You and me both[cool]
jase
#13 Posted : 01 March 2014 08:32:48

The engine covers have been built up now. The air intakes needed some clean up with micro mesh before fitting. everything was then filled using squadron filler and all the seams cleaned up. Finally I have fitted the afterburners.

Parts fit is generally ok, but the lack of location pins means extra care on aligning the parts.

Whitest I had the filler out I opted to fill the huge ejector marks on the stand; which has now been built up ready for prime and paint.

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 01 March 2014 09:07:50

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

[biggrin] Nice start Jase [cool]
Current builds:-D51,Zero,Santisima Trinidad,Honda CB750, Harley Davison Fat Boy, Lamborghini Coantach, Senna MP4/4, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi.

jase
#15 Posted : 01 March 2014 22:29:51

Thanks Andy[biggrin]

Taken advantage of a kid free day to crack on with this build as I am really enjoying it [cool]

The engines are built up and awaiting prime and paint. These will be painted separately to the rest of the model as they need some more complex masking and the fit is tight enough to allow this.

The wings come as an upper and lower to allow mounting the undercarriage. There is some sink on both parts that I will deal with after first prime when it is easer to se what I am doing. The lower wing needed a lot of clean up as there was heavy spru supports in the undercarriage openings and some flash. There is also some surface scratching caused by parts rubbing in the box, again I will wait until after first prime to se if anything needs to be done.

The inside of the undercarriage has been painted on the upper wing. Two coats Tamiya Dark Sea Grey, Two pin washes of Burnet sienna and a final all over wash of burnt sienna. The ribs were given a dry brush with a 60% grey 40% flat white mix. Pictures of this are not great sorry, the wash comes out much more strong than it actually is and the dry brushing does not stand out as clearly on the photo.

Gandale
#16 Posted : 01 March 2014 22:45:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Looking good Jase, shame about the scratch marks but am sure you will manage to make them disappear....[cool]

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

jase
#17 Posted : 02 March 2014 15:39:17

Thanks Alan,

The flash has been removed from one of the fuselage halves, and the cockpit bulk heads added as well as the forward landing gear bay.

The nose cone has been assembled and the raised panel line replaced with a scribed panel line.

I am now starting the process of scribing in all the panel lines. this will look more realistic and make the job of smoothing out the imperfections in the plastic easier.

The process is simple if a little time consuming. This is how I do it...

You can buy a dedicated scribing tool but i don't have one. So using a razor blade make a guide line next to the raised panel line. using fine saw deepen the panel line. once done sand away the raised panel line with aprox 3000 grit micro-mesh. use a stiff brush such as an old tooth brush to remove any burs from your new panel line.

If you make a mistake simply draw CA across the error to fill it and once dry sand smooth, re scribe the area if needed.

simple but affective I think.[cool]

stevie_o
#18 Posted : 02 March 2014 15:58:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#19 Posted : 02 March 2014 17:01:10

stevie_o wrote:
Very nice Jase, Always a shame though when you get the raised lines for panels.
Steve

We can let them off in this case as it is an old kit way before modern cad based tooling.

J
jase
#20 Posted : 08 March 2014 21:54:31

Just a quick update on progress.

I have tackled the landing gear today to give my finger a rest from scribing all the panel lines [lol]

After clean up I used Halfords Yellow primer. First top coat was Tamiya titanium silver, then the followed two coats of natural matt aluminium from Lifecolor. I have picked out the detail using Tamiya Smoke. Finally I have used metal foil to create the bright metal suspension. Not used this product before and it was much easier to work with than I thought it might be.