Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Jase's 1967 Lotus type 49 1/20 scale Options
jase
#1 Posted : 24 May 2014 07:59:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Welcome to my latest build diary [biggrin]

I am doing some kit bashing at the moment as i have to create some space (I am told!!!) As I am coming to the end of my Olympia this is the next kit to 'get out of the way'[blink]

Now this is something totally different for me because in 34 years of modelling I have never built a racing car!! so my first one had to be special and had to be british racing green and the Type 49 Lotus ticks all the boxes for me.

This will be a slow build in the background as I intend to airbrush everything as far as possible and the times I am aloud my compressor on are somewhat limited [crying]

You can find a kit review on this Link.

http://forum.model-space....aspx?g=posts&t=8984
Gary O
#2 Posted : 24 May 2014 14:13:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: registriert, Registered

Ok. ..Thanks for posting this and the review, Jase. Without people like you how would we know about great kits like this. I'll be following your build.

Gary
Subscribed to D51 and Senna McLaren. Both in progress. Ebro Team Lotus Type 49 in progress. Also found on EBay, Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C-2300 Monza 1931 1/8 scale, new in box... work in progress. Preordered Pocher Lamborghini Aventador white roadster....delivery in October?? Ordered Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari Enzo.
dandare
#3 Posted : 24 May 2014 19:52:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

[biggrin]
looking forward to this [biggrin]

regards
Dan
Built MP4/23, Zero, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer.
working on Senna Mp4/4.
on the bench, Model Airways Camel, Deagostini Falcon, AMT Falcon (for weathering practice), AMT Speeder
jase
#4 Posted : 24 May 2014 20:46:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thanks for the interest everybody, Lets get stuck in shall we...

First job was to give the two black sprue a dusting of Halfords Grey Primer, this just helps pick up any floors in clean up, of which there is almost none. I am using Plast-I-Weld for this build with the touch and flow applicator. This is just a very fine hollow needle attached to a glass vile, the adhesive flows with capillary action so is very controllable. The adhesive itself is very thin and evaporates very quickly but its bond is very strong and much quicker than ordinary poly cement.

The first parts build up the cockpit, a little Squadron filler was needed on the joints. The cockpit interior was then given two spay coats of thinned Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey.

The seat and the dashboard were sprayed with Vallejo black. The dial rims were painted in by hand with Tamiya X-11 Chrome silver. There are some connectors on the back of the dashboard which were given a coat of Tamiya XF16 Flat Aluminium followed by a coat of Alclad 2 Polished aluminium, this was also done for the steering column, gear shift and the steering wheel. The red leather on the steering wheel was painted in with two coats of Vallejo Fire Red. The gear shift knob was painted with Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown

Everything is a good snug fit and builds up easily. The decals are a little oversize and needed plenty of Micro Set applied with a fine brush to get them to hug the moulding. Thats the first two steps in the bag [biggrin]

stevie_o
#5 Posted : 24 May 2014 21:26:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

jase
#6 Posted : 25 May 2014 09:27:03

Gandale
#7 Posted : 25 May 2014 09:35:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Great to see you up and running with this one Jase, great start..... [cool] [cool]

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space...;m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
davetwin
#8 Posted : 25 May 2014 11:41:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Great start, this is going to look great when finished
RM1
#9 Posted : 25 May 2014 15:18:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, registriert

Looks great [biggrin] Going to enjoy following this one.
Malc.
jase
#10 Posted : 25 May 2014 19:50:59

Thanks everybody for looking in.[cool]

The body sections go together easily the only clean up being the tabs from removing from the sprue. At this point I have to decide which version I am doing. The kit gives you variant for 5 diferentraces and two drivers Clark and Hill. I am going to do the Jim Clark British GP version, which will give the model ventilated disc breaks, short front suspension, rear bumper, short type screen and Talbot mirrors[cool]

Some carful masking was required before priming. I have used thinned Humbrol 1 Grey Primer, two coats.

Main coat is Zero paints British Racing Green. I have not used Zero paints before but Warthog seems to swear by them, just so its clear who we are blaming[biggrin] [lol] [lol] Fortunatly I have an attachment for my airbrush that just happened to be the same size as the paint lid. as the paint is already thinned for a 0.3 needle or higher I could just plug straight into the paint pot[cool] Just two coats were required.

Jase
Warthog
#11 Posted : 25 May 2014 20:11:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Official Builds

Looking good Jase [love] A man always blames his tools so to speak lol not the Hog [flapper] one thing Zero paints require is a gloss coat and I always use Halfords lacquer for mine but Zero do there own range

Spencer
jase
#12 Posted : 25 May 2014 20:34:39

Thanks for the thoughts on top coat had not considered Halfords
karl1113
#13 Posted : 25 May 2014 20:43:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

nice paint job jase.[cool]
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#14 Posted : 26 May 2014 08:31:34

karl1113 wrote:
nice paint job jase.[cool]

Thanks Karl[biggrin]
FifthAce
#15 Posted : 26 May 2014 09:39:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Good start there Jase.

I'm wondering, what's the make of your airbrush? I only have a very basic starter kit and am thinking about getting a grown up one [lol]
Regards,

Dominic

jase
#16 Posted : 26 May 2014 09:59:29

FifthAce wrote:
Good start there Jase.

I'm wondering, what's the make of your airbrush? I only have a very basic starter kit and am thinking about getting a grown up one [lol]

I have two this is my new one and it is really really good

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=11734
FifthAce
#17 Posted : 26 May 2014 10:42:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Thanks Jase. £21 is pretty good...can you recommend a compressor as cheap [lol]
Regards,

Dominic

jase
#18 Posted : 26 May 2014 12:04:29

FifthAce wrote:
Thanks Jase. £21 is pretty good...can you recommend a compressor as cheap [lol]

They have compressors ors on the web site [wink]
jase
#19 Posted : 16 July 2014 21:10:12

Moved on quite a bit with this now.

I have built up the front suspension. It is all Tamiya XF-16 flat Aluminium with a wash of Tamiya X-19 smoke. the break discs are Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal. The first decals have been added to the body, representing the British GP.

These need to go on at this state to allow other parts to build up over them. once all the decals were set I gave everything a gloss coat.

The Transmission sub assembly was next. Again mainly flat Aluminium. The two side plates were picked out in Tamiya X-32 Titanium Gold. The two black boxes are Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss black. Again everything given a wash of smoke to bring out the detail.

The engine block is under way. much of it flat aluminium but some components are Tamiya X-ll Chrome Silver. the covers are semi gloss black.

The next job is to plumb in the ignition, I am using a purpose made aftermarket product that has a metal wire core allowing you to create the right shape and keep it in place

Warthog
#20 Posted : 16 July 2014 21:14:43

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Official Builds

Good to see you back on this one Jase [biggrin] Looking very nice indeed [love]

Spencer