Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Jase's Battle of Nery, 100th Anniversary Diorama Build Diary Options
jase
#1 Posted : 24 August 2014 10:05:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

On the 1st September I will be launching my latest build diary to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the now iconic Battle of Nery.

The battle occurred at the village of Nery with a surprise assault from the the German 4th Cavalry division. The subsequent action resulted in the capture of 8 German artillery pieces and the award of 3 Victoria crosses the 'L' Battery who refused to fall back. The 13 pounder Quick firing gun involved in the action can now be seen at the Imperial War Museum in London.

I will be using the excellent Tommy's War resin kit to recreate this action. You cash find a review of the kit at this link.
http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9294

To read around the Battle please see the link below.
http://www.britishbattles.com/firstww/battle-of-nery.htm

Jase
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 24 August 2014 10:30:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Ooo this is gonna be interesting! Will be watching your build, I have never attempted anything like this and I take my hat off to you!![biggrin]
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 24 August 2014 11:04:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

birdaj2
#4 Posted : 24 August 2014 15:24:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, registriert

Jase

A very nice looking kit indeed - sure you will do it the justice it deserves.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

Tony
jase
#5 Posted : 01 September 2014 17:33:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Many thanks all for the interest.

Unfortunately my internet service is down at the moment so unable to post pictures of this build diary today on the 100th anaversery of the heroic action at Nery by L battery Roya Horse Artillery.

I will post as soon as I am able as this diorama is near completion

Jase
jase
#6 Posted : 06 September 2014 20:58:16

Finally my internet is back up and running, so lets get on with this build then...

Just a quick note on tools. Resin is softer than plastic so I tend to clean up with the special resin tool shown below and a old dull blade. The trough has water in it, as the dust is a nasty, everything is done wet to keep the dust down and work surfaces regularly cleaned down - baby wipes are good for this[biggrin]

I started the build with the lumber. Construction is simple and clean up was minimal. The most effort went into fitting the shell tubes into the ammunition box, they need a heavy clean up to fit. Everything was primed with Mr Resin primer Surfacer. The official colour of the artillery piece and lumber is Kaki Green I used Humbrol 149 Dark Green which looked a close match to the gun from this battery held at the Imperial war Museum in London. As this particular action occurred early in the war the artillery piece was in good order so not to much weathering required. The action occurs during a retreat and so had seen some transportation muck, that said the guns were at rest so I have imagined any heavy mud would have been removed. I have gone for a light wash with Raw Umber and black to add some shadow.
The brass is Vallejo Air, Bright Brass.

The quick fire 13 pounder is a more complex construction and I haver to say the simple exploded line drawings simply don't do the job for the instructions. I had to do a lot of research to understand where the parts probably went and had 3 bits left over!! I have no idea where they should be [mellow]
The only modifications I made to the whole kit was to drill out the seat drain holes and add the triangular hook thing to the front, I used copper wire for that.
I used the same paints as for the limber plus Vallejo black and Model master steel for the breech. The tyres on the wheels were painted with a 50/50 mix of gunmetal and Red Brown. The washes were as per the lumber.

With the gun and Lumber completed I was able to plan out the Diorama. The actual action occurred in a field but I wanted a back drop to contrast all the green and also to help the eye follow the action.
It is important to remember when you lay out a diorama that we look from top left to bottom right. Adding a wall as a backdrop gave me the contrast and and the addition of a tree also gives some hight. Placing the tree to the left at the back takes the eye to the back of the Dio and then you are drawn down to the limber and across to the action around the gun - or at least that is the hope[biggrin] The other contrasting colour will be the huge amount of spent brass shells. The Grass and grass clumps are products i have used before and can be found on ebay. The wall came from my 'bits' box and i think is the Italari wall sections and the tree came from my back garden[biggrin]. The ivy Is an Aber etch product and i have had it awaiting a project for at least 12 years so not sure if still available. the base I pieced up from a model show a few years back too.

Finally I could get stuck into the figures.
Figure painting is discipline in its own right and takes many years to master, I am by no means a good figure painter but I think I have done them justice.
To help with the face painting I invested in this face painting set from Vallejo. If you paint a lot figures I would recommend it.

The technique I have used is more labour intensive than the wash and dry brush method I have typically used before. Painting in the shadows and then lots of shading and adding filters to blend. It is very time consuming but also very satisfying and I am happy with the finished results.
Paints used were:
Main uniform - Humbrol Acrylic 102
leather boot uppers and other leather items - Humbrol 62 with a Raw Umber wash
Boot soles - Tamiya Brown X-9
Shirts - Humbrol Enamel 87 and Humbrol 34 for the white parts.
Riding breaches - Humbrol Acrylic 102 and Humbrol Enamel 93
Hat badges - Tamiya Titanium Gold X-31
Puttees (wrapped material on lower legs) and sergeant stripes - Humbrol Enamel 84
You will notice I have mound the different parts on wire and a milk bottle top. this allows me to paint the figure without touching it. the wire is simply snipped of and filed down prior to fitting.

Kit summery
The kit detail is stunning and the quality of parts is excellent. The instructions are nicely presented but need more detail perhaps some accompanying photos of the part fit at stages would help.
Other than that I can wholly recommend the kit[cool]
You can find the finished build at this link below
http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=128252#post128252
Jase
dandare
#7 Posted : 06 September 2014 22:48:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Wow, just this is fantastic work. I envy your skills

Regards
Dan
Built MP4/23, Zero, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer.
working on Senna Mp4/4.
on the bench, Model Airways Camel, Deagostini Falcon, AMT Falcon (for weathering practice), AMT Speeder
stevie_o
#8 Posted : 06 September 2014 23:35:33

Groups: Global Forum Support, Registered, Official Builds, Administrators, registriert, Moderator

Ponty
#9 Posted : 07 September 2014 04:24:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Words can't describe how impressive your skills are, so I'll just[drool] [drool]
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
jase
#10 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:21:32

dandare wrote:
Wow, just this is fantastic work. I envy your skills

Regards
Dan

many thanks, they figures are less than perfect, but glad you like them.

Jase
jase
#11 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:22:29

stevie_o wrote:
Brilliant work Jase, absolutely love this[biggrin]

Steve

Thanks Steve for the kind comments

J
jase
#12 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:23:15

Ponty wrote:
Words can't describe how impressive your skills are, so I'll just[drool] [drool]

Thank you [blush] [blush] [blush]
Gandale
#13 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:34:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Hi Jase, great to see you back with us after your internet outage... don't realise how much we rely on steady connections so it's a real pain when it goes wrong.... Beautiful work you have been doing here, very impressive and a great display of talent....[drool] [drool] . Very well done..... [cool] [cool]

Regards

Alan
Diary Index - (SOTS) - http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=58478&#post58478
Present Build
HMS SOTS - Mantua's RMS Titanic - San Francisco II
Subscribed to
HMS Vic - Santísima Trinidad - HMS Hood - Cutty Sark - Yamato - RM Roma - San Felipe

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:37:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, registriert

Jase

Just come across this build link and very interested seeing the parts in their raw state. The resin castings from your pictures look flawless. Especially impressed with the shell holders which appear very thin castings.

Agree with you on the Vallejo face painting set puts all you need in a nice contained set. Andrea do a similar set but with a smaller amount of colours.

"Loaned" mine out to young nephew some time ago and never saw it coming back [biggrin]

Happy Modelling

Tony
jase
#15 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:32:30

Gandale wrote:
Hi Jase, great to see you back with us after your internet outage... don't realise how much we rely on steady connections so it's a real pain when it goes wrong.... Beautiful work you have been doing here, very impressive and a great display of talent....[drool] [drool] . Very well done..... [cool] [cool]

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan for you kind comments - good to be back[cool] [biggrin]
jase
#16 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:35:45

birdaj2 wrote:
Jase

Just come across this build link and very interested seeing the parts in their raw state. The resin castings from your pictures look flawless. Especially impressed with the shell holders which appear very thin castings.

Agree with you on the Vallejo face painting set puts all you need in a nice contained set. Andrea do a similar set but with a smaller amount of colours.

"Loaned" mine out to young nephew some time ago and never saw it coming back [biggrin]

Yes the casting is as good as Any i have seen, Tommys War are a great little manufacturer.

J
jase
#17 Posted : 07 September 2014 19:07:04

tf64
#18 Posted : 07 September 2014 19:56:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts

Jase,
More then impressed you are the king of the weathering, what a build.

Regards,
Trev.

Building:

H.M.S.Victory / H.M.S. Victory Cross Section / De-Agostini Spitfire.

Under the bench: De-Ago Bremen. Sovereign of the Seas.

jase
#19 Posted : 07 September 2014 20:09:13

tf64 wrote:
Jase,
More then impressed you are the king of the weathering, what a build.

Regards,
Trev.

Ha ha Thanks Trev, I am not but thanks for the kind words[biggrin]

Jase
Plymouth57
#20 Posted : 07 September 2014 22:34:13

Lovely work once again Jase! There's some really fine detail on that kit I must admit [cool] Its amazing how long some of our ancient purchases take before they eventually find a home on a diorama, (I'll find a use for it one day!)[biggrin]
I like the tree 'coming from your garden' some of the barbed wire posts on my diorama came from 'ahem' next door's garden![blush]
Glad your connections are back again, like Alan said, we take the internet for granted now and it really hits hard when its gone![blink]

Great work!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1