Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Canon portholes Options
Sinbad
#1 Posted : 14 January 2014 21:48:23

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

Finally finished the canon portholes. Took me a week. didn't really find it tedious.
Had a near disaster while drilling the stern holes. Because I had problems getting the right angle on the middle deck support beams with my nail driver I opted to glue them. It appeared that the drilling pushed them out . . . PANIC !! Lucky I managed to get the stern half of the deck off and fixed them (pins & glue). Lesson learned and I now use a small tack hammer.

http://i620.photobucket....f2f3308.jpg?t=1389731907
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 14 January 2014 23:33:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Sinbad, looking good. Not sure if you know but there is a problem with frame 15 on many of these builds. I can see in your photo that you will need to build up the lower part of this frame level with the bottom of the false keel. It also affects the upper part of the frame too so this may also need some work,lay a plank across the top of the frames from 14-16 to see how much needs to be worked. It dosent affect what you have planked so far but will cause some probs later if its not correct.

Here are a couple of links about it so you can see if it affects you or not -
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=1310
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=1153

but judging by the rib being a couple of mm short on your photo I think it will need attention.
Steve
Sinbad
#3 Posted : 15 January 2014 08:12:46

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I'll check out the links very carefully.
I see what you mean about the bottom of the frame. It was staring me right in the face. Funny how these things show up more in a photo.
One adventure after another. Blink
jase
#4 Posted : 15 January 2014 09:03:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Sinbad.

before you do much more just check that you have faired the ribs enough. wrap a strip of card over your bow frames to see if it touches the full width of each rib. If it is nor sanded properly you will have difficulty nailing the planks and possibly get a misshapen hull.

Also you have not sanded the false keel at the stern to thin it down. just revisit your instructions and check you have not missed a step.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Sinbad
#5 Posted : 15 January 2014 21:01:10

Hi Jase,
I feel I have fared them enough per instructions. Did a plank test before fitting.
Intend to sand the keel later.
Thanks for your input.
Sinbad
#6 Posted : 21 January 2014 22:07:21

stevie_o wrote:
Hi Sinbad, looking good. Not sure if you know but there is a problem with frame 15 on many of these builds. I can see in your photo that you will need to build up the lower part of this frame level with the bottom of the false keel. It also affects the upper part of the frame too so this may also need some work,lay a plank across the top of the frames from 14-16 to see how much needs to be worked. It dosent affect what you have planked so far but will cause some probs later if its not correct.

Here are a couple of links about it so you can see if it affects you or not -
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=1310
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=1153

but judging by the rib being a couple of mm short on your photo I think it will need attention.
Steve

Have been studying the samples you sent of the 15a/15b problem. Man, so many options.
My thoughts are that using the original idea by Lonestar these ribs are bound to move back as there will be a lot of pressure there.
I like the cutting of the frame although how he got a razor saw in there I don't know. Thankfully I have a saw small saw attachment for my cutting knife handle.
In conclusion I thought it may work if I saw a little niche, maybe 2 or 3 mm and gently push the top forward and after putting some glue in the niche insert 1 or 2 slivers of wood. The more I think about this the more I feel it will work. Care would be the utmost of course.
What do you think?
On further inspection I have noticed a couple more that are out of alignment too.

Sinbad
#7 Posted : 22 January 2014 07:43:04

Went ahead and did it Steve and as you can see it seems to have done the trick.
Started by cutting a 3 mm slot and then made a wedge sahpe at the end of a scrap piece of wood. Just kept tapping the wedge until the frame lined up. I had to cut the slot to about 5mm in the end.
Have tried a plank and it lies nice and straight.

http://i620.photobucket.com/alb...llery006_zps982ac980.jpg