Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Michaels USS New Jersey Options
michael.rolph
#1 Posted : 14 January 2016 21:58:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Michaels Revell USS New Jersey BB-62 (1982) - Platinum Edition

For my build of the year 2016 I have chosen the Revell USS New Jersey. I stumbled on this kit while I was browsing in WH Smiths in the Metrocentre. I only went in there for a pot of paint :)

michael.rolph attached the following image(s):
box_zpsede4x5ee.jpg
michael.rolph
#2 Posted : 14 January 2016 21:59:57

Box contents

The basic instructions are quite clear and easy to follow.

Picture 1-2

Color and decal guide

Picture 3

Deck guide

Picture 4

Etch plan number guide

Picture 5

Photo etch assembly and placement guides

Picture 6-9
File Attachment(s):
etchplan4_zpsywxbxl7a.jpg (257kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
instructions1_zps8quxtzlc.jpg
instructions2_zpskz4dtpkk.jpg
colorguide_zpsgkbu7q7n.jpg
deckguide_zpsstfcuc6l.jpg
etchguide_zpsiehiawn8.jpg
etchplan1_zpsb9wbrarm.jpg
etchplan2_zpsxcyr7twj.jpg
etchplan3_zpsz3ap5gkd.jpg
etchplan5_zpsbcix719g.jpg
michael.rolph
#3 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:00:58

Parts

Wooden deck stickers

Picture 1

Photo Etch

Picture 2

Replacement gun barrels

Picture 3

Hull and deck

Picture 4

Sprue

Picture 5-10

Tools

I decide to invest in a basic airbrush to hopefully improve the outcome of the painting

Picture 11
deckstickers_zpsbuexif4m.jpg
etch_zpsqkf3zl1x.jpg
barrels_zpswzsjr3pg.jpg
hulanddeck_zpsx5cigpzs.jpg
parts1_zpseqcdmnys.jpg
parts2_zpsyeukg3hr.jpg
parts3_zpsfmt3by7v.jpg
parts4_zpswnb7xexh.jpg
parts5_zpskz1q4buh.jpg
parts6_zpseu9n1per.jpg
airbrush_zpseera1keb.jpg
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:02:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Looks an interesting kit and available in Smiths. Be interesting to see what the poor old Swindon shop can offer.

Hope you have great fun with your build and it goes well for you.
Happy Modelling

Project: USS Constitution - subscription complete.
Project: Porsche 911 - subscribed to the 24 month option. Project: Jaguar - E type
Project: Harley Davidson Fat boy. Project: Lam. Countach
Project: 1:200 Bismarck (hachette). Project: James Bond DB5 (eaglemoss)
michael.rolph
#5 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:02:13

Kit quality

The generally quality of the parts is quite good but there are some large mold lines on the hull and some of the pieces. Also the deck is rather floppy.

Picture 1

First steps

I began by reviewing the basic instructions and the etch assembly sheets. Next I numbered each step on the etch guide and found the matching points in the instructions and added a reference to the sheet. Hopefully this will prevent me from missing out any of the etch when I build each section.

Next I ordered the paints that I will need from cornwall model boats and I will begin the assembly once they arrive.
hulllines_zpsn45adb9x.jpg
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:31:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Official Builds, Global Forum Support, Administrators

BigGrin Hi Michael

Now that looks a nice kit and with a bit of fetling will make a fine model with all the extra's the compressor was the same one I bought as my first too it works fine just keep an eye on the water trap and empty it often.

Just one last point the build of the year entry title should be noted in the post and not in the title of the build. If you could amend this it would be great and best of luck with your build.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

michu
#7 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:41:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

I have this kit in my stash. It's a lovely kit full of extras out of the box. I'll be following your build closely :)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:51:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Looks a great model. Look forward to seeing her grow.
Cheers
Chris.
On the Bench

Tamiya 1/350 King George V with Eduard set and wooden deck.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=31992
nightwisher
#9 Posted : 15 January 2016 01:02:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Looks a nice kit very similar to my entry,my first time with an airbrush too, good luck to you sir.
Current builds-deagostini sovereign of the seas. Finished builds-eaglemoss endeavour,A.L Santa maria,A.L mare nostrum.
Gandale
#10 Posted : 15 January 2016 01:03:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrator

Good luck with the build Michael, looks like a great choice for entry....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nytetrain
#11 Posted : 15 January 2016 01:40:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

That's my curse too. Walk in to spend $5 on some paint and walk out $100 lighter and a bag full of stuff.LOL Looks like a fantastic kit. Looking forward to watching this build come to life. Good luck in the competition. Lots of great entries so far and more to come I'm guessing.

Ron
Thanks for looking,
Ron

On the bench: "Scottish Maid", DeAgostini D51, DeAgostini Millenium Falcon, DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Nytetrain's "Hold the line build"
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 15 January 2016 03:43:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Another amazing entry Michael.Good luck. I love these highly detailed ship models.Will be following this with interest.

Carl
michael.rolph
#13 Posted : 24 January 2016 19:16:57

Thanks everyone for the comments.

A quick update, all the paint and supplies I ordered have arrived and I have just finished a build of Babylon 5 so hopefully I will being construction this week.

supplies_zpszqdfear1.jpg
tigerace
#14 Posted : 25 January 2016 11:30:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice looking kit will follow with interestCool Phil
On the go: refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

michael.rolph
#15 Posted : 27 January 2016 20:09:09

Construction has begun.

Hull and deck prep
The first step was to remove some unnecessary details from the hull, deck and tower base, this was achieved using a small saw, craft knife and sandpaper. This was the most time consuming part of the first stage.
Once the removal was complete the parts were washed with warm soapy water to remove any mold grease and plastic dust.

Main Gun

I removed and cleaned up the parts for the first main gun. I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the parts so far, the gun base was missing part of the turntable and didn't fit well into the main body of the gun.

Picture 1

The require photo etch materials were removed from the sprues and the gun barrels were cut off. Holes were drilled into the remains of the gun barrel bases and the new barrels glued in place.

Picture 2

The parts were assembled into sub assemblies and the etch glued in place

Picture 3

Once the subassemblies were dry they were glued together.

Picture 4-5

One gun down, two to go!
File Attachment(s):
gun1front_zpsotormoqi.jpg (304kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
basicparts_zpshoqrwxm4.jpg
etchandreplacementbarrels_zpsptt6zuiv.jpg
subassemblies_zpskkpktlsa.jpg
gun1side_zpsiaxxyghj.jpg
Nemesis
#16 Posted : 27 January 2016 20:16:16

The pe really makes a difference, very nice indeed!BigGrin
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 27 January 2016 20:55:44

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Official Builds, Global Forum Support, Administrators

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 27 January 2016 22:18:46

That looks a very nice start to your build and amazing you picked up something as good as this in smiths.
Happy Modelling

Project: USS Constitution - subscription complete.
Project: Porsche 911 - subscribed to the 24 month option. Project: Jaguar - E type
Project: Harley Davidson Fat boy. Project: Lam. Countach
Project: 1:200 Bismarck (hachette). Project: James Bond DB5 (eaglemoss)
jase
#19 Posted : 27 January 2016 23:03:47

Really nice looking kit, looks like an old one revamped with the etch and decks? nice start following this with interest

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
davetwin
#20 Posted : 28 January 2016 01:18:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Off to a great start and lots of nice looking etch, it looks very much like Pontos etch right down to the instructions too, I really enjoyed working with Pontos on my Yamato Cool