Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 basic weathering set Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 10 October 2018 16:00:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

Now on sale and view the "How To" video Cool

https://www.model-space....-d2-weathering-set.html
Tomick attached the following image(s):
81lxrlmqmll__sl1500_.jpg
Gandale
#2 Posted : 10 October 2018 21:27:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Can see this having many uses not just for the R2-D2. How to video looks great too, very easy to follow....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 11 October 2018 06:35:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

BigGrin Works a treat for some grubbing up and easy to doCool
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
philljwarren
#4 Posted : 11 October 2018 08:06:59

Groups: Registered

Shame this didnt come out a bit sooner - wont be easy to get in all those nooks and crannies now the panels are assembled. Also, same kit is between £4.95 - £9.99 on Amazon & ebay with free postage. Why is it so much more expensive through deAg?
Tomick
#5 Posted : 11 October 2018 12:15:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

philljwarren wrote:
Why is it so much more expensive through deAg?
You can find cheaper with almost everything. But do other sellers provide a “How To” video or help and guidance that our forum presents, let alone the excellent weathering tips shown in our Customised R2 build. Yes it’s more expensive but a seller that can’t provide support isn’t worth bothering with.
philljwarren
#6 Posted : 11 October 2018 16:08:21

Tomick wrote:
philljwarren wrote:
You can find cheaper with almost everything. But do other sellers provide a “How To” video or help and guidance that our forum presents, let alone the excellent weathering tips shown in our Customised R2 build. Yes it’s more expensive but a seller that can’t provide support isn’t worth bothering with.

That doesnt really apply here though, because I can buy the weathering kit (a LOT) cheaper from someone else, and still watch your 'how to' video and access the help and guidance on the forum. It's not an either/or situation.

I just think its a shame DeAg sets it prices far higher than everyone else on these additional items. It was the same with the paint kit for the Falcon.
IanW
#7 Posted : 11 October 2018 16:17:52

philljwarren wrote:
That doesnt really apply here though, because I can buy the weathering kit (a LOT) cheaper from someone else, and still watch your 'how to' video and access the help and guidance on the forum. It's not an either/or situation.

I just think its a shame DeAg sets it prices far higher than everyone else on these additional items. It was the same with the paint kit for the Falcon.

I think that's a little misleading, Phil; obviously, DeAg have increased the price on the kit so they can make more money from it, but since they've also produced a video that cost them money, that doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me?

That they've also been good enough to release the video to everyone, instead of just the people who bought the kit from them, seems to me to be a good thing - if they'd only sent it to the kit buyers, it would have been clearer why they charge more but less good of them.
Tomick
#8 Posted : 11 October 2018 17:03:54

philljwarren wrote:
Tomick wrote:
philljwarren wrote:

You are free to buy from where you choose and it will in fact soon apply here once the gold members scheme is introduced, where such access will be limited to gold members only Flapper
Tomick
#9 Posted : 11 October 2018 17:06:09

IanW wrote:
philljwarren wrote:

I think that's a little misleading, Phil; obviously, DeAg have increased the price on the kit so they can make more money from it, but since they've also produced a video that cost them money, that doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me?

That they've also been good enough to release the video to everyone, instead of just the people who bought the kit from them, seems to me to be a good thing - if they'd only sent it to the kit buyers, it would have been clearer why they charge more but less good of them.
Good to see good reasoning and after all, it is a business.
philljwarren
#10 Posted : 13 October 2018 17:25:24

IanW wrote:
philljwarren wrote:

Not sure what in my post you felt was misleading. Yes they've produced a video anyone can watch, but surely a video of how to weather the R2D2 kit is only of use to DeAg customers anyway? Its not like you can buy the R2D2 kit from anyone else.
IanW
#11 Posted : 13 October 2018 18:00:49

philljwarren wrote:
IanW wrote:
philljwarren wrote:

I think that's a little misleading, Phil;

Not sure what in my post you felt was misleading. Yes they've produced a video anyone can watch, but surely a video of how to weather the R2D2 kit is only of use to DeAg customers anyway? Its not like you can buy the R2D2 kit from anyone else.

Apologies for not being clear, Phil - in particular, it was your line saying "It's not an either/or situation".

In response to your statement that DeAg are charging a higher price for the kit, Tomick replied that it was justified because DeAg have produced a video, and have created these forums.
Your reply to that, which I quoted, is that it doesn't really apply because DeAg didn't stop you watching the video.

The reason I feel that's misleading is that you're ignoring the fact that the forums and the video actually cost money to make, and you're taking advantage of DeAg being a good citizen in letting the video be available to all on the forums they created.

The line that only DeAg's customers can use the video in the first place is a) really not the point, as it is a completely optional thing that DeAg made for the benefit of a subset of customers, and b) not even true as the skills and technique are applicable in many circomestances of model making.

I'd further add that sometimes large corporations can't actually buy things like this kit as cheaply as you or I can from places like Amazon anyway, I've seen many cases where people like Tesco pay more for identical items than the retail price in Aldi, and without knowing the commercials you've no idea how much money DeAg is recuperating on this kit anyway. Given the subset of R2 buyers that complete their kit AND that want to weather it, I would have thought the margin they make is vanishingly small and wouldn't exactly buy a new mega yacht for the owners :-) even if that wasn't something they were fully entitled to do.