Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Missing Plans Options
madisoncpa
#1 Posted : 16 October 2019 23:59:20

Groups: Registered

This is my first post. Hope I'm doing it right.
I recently purchased the complete HMS Surprise kit from a guy on Ebay. He sent the full kit, but the only paperwork is the 14 Assembly Guides. There is no Mast Plan or Cut Sheet or any other paperwork.
To make matters worse, the frames (part numbers 10-26) do not have part numbers on the parts, so I am left to guess at the sequence. I have downloaded the Cut Sheet which is much smaller than the originals I think.
I'm wondering if anyone has any of the full size schematics, cut sheet, mast plan, etc. that I could borrow to have copies made? I'll gladly pay any postage, etc. I'm a beginner and off to a bad start. Please help if able. Thanks,
Confused Dave.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 17 October 2019 06:24:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Dave

Hoping this may help you.

All of the build guides, the cut sheet and the 2 mast plans can be downloaded from here: just look under the tab "The Build"

https://www.model-space....d-the-hms-surprise.html

Unless the kit you have has seen all the parts cut off the frames the cut sheet on the attached link should be fine to use as the parts are laid out on each frame in very unique patterns so it should make identifing a breeze even though the sheet is not full size.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Project: USS Constitution - subscription complete.
Project: Porsche 911 - subscribed to the 24 month option. Project: Jaguar - E type
Project: Harley Davidson Fat boy. Project: Lam. Countach
Project: 1:200 Bismarck (hachette).
madisoncpa
#3 Posted : 28 October 2019 22:57:25

Thanks, Tony. I was able to dig the remnants of the laser cut board from which I had removed the frames. After downloading the cut list pages from the website, I was able to identify the frame numbers which had been missing from my kit.

ECK
#4 Posted : 31 October 2019 16:49:04

Red Medal: Red Medal

I am building the same model. There are no full size mast plans. You have to have your computer with you and use the measurements on the online planes. You can get it by going to the UK website then bring up the ship then go to downloads. The US site does not have it. Also , very difficult to see and figure which blocks are there. The printed instructions that come with the kit are very minimal. Helps if you have built other models first since the skills from those (which have better instructions, particularly the Victory) will help a lot.
madisoncpa
#5 Posted : 31 October 2019 19:14:11

Hi ECK,
Thanks for the reply.
The odd thing is, I recently went through thee 14 packs that came with the kit, and I found Mast Plan 1, pages 1 and 2 (on the back of page 1)in pack 8, and I found pages 6 & 7 in pack 14. No sign of pages 3-5, or the single page of Mast Plan 2.
I have printed all the pages from the Great Britian website and I can read about 25% of the tiny reference numbers on the sheets. This might be acceptable to some of the forum members who have experience rigging the beautiful ships, but I'm not looking forward to that phase of the build, unless I can find the missing pages that I feel should have been included in the kit.
Thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed if things change.
Dave
admin
#6 Posted : 01 November 2019 15:27:45

Groups: Administrator, Administrators

madisoncpa wrote:
Hi ECK,
Thanks for the reply.
The odd thing is, I recently went through thee 14 packs that came with the kit, and I found Mast Plan 1, pages 1 and 2 (on the back of page 1)in pack 8, and I found pages 6 & 7 in pack 14. No sign of pages 3-5, or the single page of Mast Plan 2.
I have printed all the pages from the Great Britian website and I can read about 25% of the tiny reference numbers on the sheets. This might be acceptable to some of the forum members who have experience rigging the beautiful ships, but I'm not looking forward to that phase of the build, unless I can find the missing pages that I feel should have been included in the kit.
Thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed if things change.
Dave

Hello,

Can you PM me with your subscription details, (name, address, sub #) and I’ll see if I can get you sorted out.

Thanks!
Mark Adams
ECK
#7 Posted : 07 November 2019 13:32:59

Yes there are sheets that show up buried in other boxes but they are not full size plans like other kits where you can lay the pieces on the plan for size and position. I have my laptop beside me and enlarge to 364% scale which brings things to a 1:1 measurement I can double check and transfer to a sheet of paper and draw and then can line on screen to help. You will need to magnify a lot of the rigging details and unfortunately there are areas with no clear instructions. It helps if you built other kits since then you can often fill in the blanks with what you did on the other ships.

I had built the Victory, then Soleil Royale then Constitution before this current Surprise build and the others have much better and clearer instructions.
madisoncpa
#8 Posted : 07 November 2019 18:47:28

Great idea about using a laptop to enlarge the downloaded plans.
Just as I was reading and contemplating your response, the seller called and informed me that he sent a strong letter to Model Space UK and they have promised to have a full set of plans sent to him immediately. They are sending them from the UK so we won't expect them for a couple of weeks. He will forward them to me when he gets them.
This has been a very trying experience for me. The lessons I learned are:
Don't buy model kits from eBay or other private sellers,
and even when buying from commercial sellers, do a thorough inventory before starting on the model.
Thanks again for your help. I'm still going to use the laptop even when the plans arrive.
admin
#9 Posted : 07 November 2019 19:07:27

Groups: Administrator, Administrators

madisoncpa wrote:
Great idea about using a laptop to enlarge the downloaded plans.
Just as I was reading and contemplating your response, the seller called and informed me that he sent a strong letter to Model Space UK and they have promised to have a full set of plans sent to him immediately. They are sending them from the UK so we won't expect them for a couple of weeks. He will forward them to me when he gets them.
This has been a very trying experience for me. The lessons I learned are:
Don't buy model kits from eBay or other private sellers,
and even when buying from commercial sellers, do a thorough inventory before starting on the model.
Thanks again for your help. I'm still going to use the laptop even when the plans arrive.

I had forwarded your issue up the food chain, so you might receive duplicate issues.

Mark
Mark Adams
madisoncpa
#10 Posted : 07 November 2019 20:08:29

Thanks for your help.
Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.
It's a shame that Model Space customer service was unwilling to help either the seller or me, until the seller sent them a very strongly worded email after several tries by phone.

Thanks again,
Dave
ECK
#11 Posted : 08 November 2019 16:12:31

Need to correct the enlargement on adobe to get the 1:1 measurement is 360%

This applies to the plan for the mast and yards.
madisoncpa
#12 Posted : 11 November 2019 03:16:28

Thanks for the update. I found that 392% worked for me. Must be a difference in monitors or whatever.
I can't believe how clear the part numbers, etc. are.
BigGrin