Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<6789>
1:24 Smokin Dragster ( Another Stage Closer) Options
kpnuts
#141 Posted : 04 October 2020 11:06:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Yes with all the electrical stuff would do my head in but you seem to be going great guns i used to love going to santapod and watch (and listen) to all the cars I think this dio will be nothing short of phenomenal.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
delboy271155
#142 Posted : 04 October 2020 13:44:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev / Ken, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and the comments.Cool Cool

I think I`ve got enough going on in this dio now to give a good insight to the start of a drag race.

Just can`t get them doing up to 300mph in a quarter mile.

LOL Flapper LOL Flapper LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#143 Posted : 04 October 2020 18:47:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Following on from yesterday`s post of the pre-stage and stage led lights, I have run another test.

The pre-stage and stage led`s are 3mm as they are meant to be smaller than all the other lights. So the others are 5mm.

Now here`s the rub.Blink

To buy led`s by the most economic means you need to buy them in batches of 10 or more.

That was fine for the 3mm yellow ones as I need 8.

For the larger ones I need 6 yellow, 2 green and 2 red that`s 10 in total not 30 as in 10 of each colour.

The solution is Tamiya clear colour paints. I buy 10 white light led`s and colour the lenses as needed.

So the pic below shows (left to right) a 3mm Yellow, a 5mm white and a 5mm green painted white. (Awaiting delivery of Tamiya clear yellow but have red and green.

For anyone wanting to colour led`s the Tamiya clear paints I know of are as follows:

X23 - Blue
X24 - Yellow
X25 - Green
X26 - Orange
X27 - Red

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
91 LED`s.jpg

delboy271155
#144 Posted : 17 October 2020 15:22:40

Hi All, BigGrin

Its been a while since I posted on this, purely because I`ve been doing all the boring measuring, re-measuring calculating sizes and therefore the position of everything.Bored Bored

I now have most of the base unit sorted to a point where there will be very little fixed to the dio base itself, with all the electronics and mechanics working through the dio base. This will give me 100% access to everything underneath the dio itself with little fuss.

For now two pics attached to show the start of the lower base for all the workings.

More to come soon.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
92 Lower base.jpg
93 Distribution board.jpg

birdaj2
#145 Posted : 17 October 2020 18:28:47

Good idea to use the tamiya clear colours over those clear leds Derek.

Little steps bring it that little bit closer to completion.

Hope it all continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Harley Davidson Fat boy, Lam. Countach, Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
COLLECTING 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar
delboy271155
#146 Posted : 17 October 2020 18:42:14

birdaj2 wrote:

Tony

Thanks for looking in Tony and for your comments.Cool Cool

I`m hoping in the next few days to be able to put up a second by second account of what this dio will do when completed. That`s when I know exactly how it will all finally be on the road to completion.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

birdaj2
#147 Posted : 17 October 2020 19:58:54

delboy271155 wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:

Tony

Thanks for looking in Tony and for your comments.Cool Cool

I`m hoping in the next few days to be able to put up a second by second account of what this dio will do when completed. That`s when I know exactly how it will all finally be on the road to completion.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Looking forward to seeing that Derek.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Harley Davidson Fat boy, Lam. Countach, Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas
Markwarren
#148 Posted : 18 October 2020 08:25:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Administrators, Global Forum Support, Registered, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice work Derek. Love Love Now it’s time to see if those little grey cells have got all those calculations correct.LOL LOL ThumpUp
Really looking forward to seeing this come together.Love Cool

Mark
delboy271155
#149 Posted : 18 October 2020 16:49:59

Markwarren wrote:
Nice work Derek. Love Love Now it’s time to see if those little grey cells have got all those calculations correct.LOL LOL ThumpUp
Really looking forward to seeing this come together.Love Cool

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Just found out today that the smoke generators only kick in at the same time if different amounts of smoke oil are added.Blink I`ve now got them starting together, one with 1ml of oil and the other with 2ml. Can only assume its the difference in heating coils as they are so small and they are normally used as a single unit in one train so wouldn`t matter.

Just goes to show all the best calculations can go wrong, especially if you make an assumption that two things will work exactly the same.Crying Sorted now.LOL

General:

I now have a time span calculated for the dio to work. With a short burst of vid, before and after and so you don`t sit waiting for something to happen its a grand total of 23 secs which may extend slightly when everything runs together with final trimer adjustments. Timers now required total 5. Blink Blink

So till next time.BigGrin Keep safe.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

roymattblack
#150 Posted : 18 October 2020 18:05:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Administrators, Global Forum Support

I think the saying goes - 'Above and beyond the call of duty'...
Superb.Love
delboy271155
#151 Posted : 18 October 2020 19:03:58

roymattblack wrote:
Superb.Love

Thanks for looking in Roy, appreciated as always.Cool

You know what its like. Blink Blink Just one small change, then another, etc etc etc.

I`ve found a great piece of music to use as a backing track for the final video. Think they may have even used it at Santa Pod in the distant past.

Its an extract from a classical Fanfare. Spent nearly two weeks trying to remember the title, then had the light bulb moment. Thank goodness, as I had it going round in my head for ages. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#152 Posted : 18 October 2020 21:21:04

Hi All, BigGrin

Added some more to the circuit board base today. (Pic below)

Now have to wait a few days for more delay circuits to arrive. Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
94 Circuits start.jpg

birdaj2
#153 Posted : 18 October 2020 21:28:53

delboy271155 wrote:
roymattblack wrote:
Superb.Love

Thanks for looking in Roy, appreciated as always.Cool

You know what its like. Blink Blink Just one small change, then another, etc etc etc.

I`ve found a great piece of music to use as a backing track for the final video. Think they may have even used it at Santa Pod in the distant past.

Its an extract from a classical Fanfare. Spent nearly two weeks trying to remember the title, then had the light bulb moment. Thank goodness, as I had it going round in my head for ages. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Is the tune “fanfare for the common man” by Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#154 Posted : 18 October 2020 21:30:52

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi All, BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Really interesting seeing how you are joining up this circuit.

Looks very neat and impressive.

Tony
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#155 Posted : 18 October 2020 21:58:00

birdaj2 wrote:
delboy271155 wrote:
Hi All, BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Really interesting seeing how you are joining up this circuit.

Looks very neat and impressive.

Tony

Hi Tony, BigGrin

The know-how for laying out the circuitry comes from 20 years spent doing this sort of stuff and maintaining it for a living.Blink

As for the "Fanfare" you got it in one. Cool Cool Cool

Well done, I should have called you a couple of weeks ago to save giving myself a headache. LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#156 Posted : 23 October 2020 18:15:47

Hi All, BigGrin

Its time for an update:

The required timers turned up and today I`ve made a dummy run at getting all the timers connected (wires only, not to the base).

For the above reasons this is now not so neat and tidy, but I have managed to get all the timers synchronised to be in the correct order. They will need a fine tuning session when they are all fixed to the base board, but for now its the next stage proven that this project will work as expected. (Fingers Crossed)Blink

Still to add to the base:

Electro Magnet to move Pro-Fueler
Magnetic micro switch (Brings on the staged lights for Pro-Fueler)
Main drive unit for the Funny Car and gears to get drive up to the rear axle
Christmas tree light unit to hold all the led`s.

Its the fitting of these items that will make things happen up above on the dio base. This will then be the next stage of measurements to see how high I need the dio surface above the electro/mechanical base.

Just hope it now seems like I know what I`m talking about.LOL LOL

One pic attached below of the base board as it now looks.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
95 Circuits 2nd stage.jpg

birdaj2
#157 Posted : 23 October 2020 23:58:14

Derek

That looks very impressive.

You certainly have an impressive circuit assembled there.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#158 Posted : 24 October 2020 08:44:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Administrators, Global Forum Support, Registered, Moderator, Official Builds

Very impressive Derek. Definitely looks like you know what you are doing.

Well you’ve heard of AC/DC, well we’ve got ACD, AC Derek, LOL LOL LOL , sorry just getting my own backLOL

I’m getting quite excited seeing this to the finish.Cool

Mark
roymattblack
#159 Posted : 24 October 2020 11:19:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Administrators, Global Forum Support

Blimey...!
Does it pick up the movie channel...?LOL LOL LOL
delboy271155
#160 Posted : 24 October 2020 20:47:54

Hi all, BigGrin

Thanks to all who have looked in. Cool Cool Cool

@ Tony, there`s still more to come as 95% of the workings will be under the main dio surface.Blink Blink

@ Mark, thanks for your comments. We could carry this on and not bother with usernames and use TLA`s instead. I`ll let you work that one out.Flapper

@ Roy, unfortunately not, but I`m sure I heard a voice say something about the "Kremlin". LOL LOL LOL

Now below is a link to the first video of the starting lights (Christmas tree).

A bit hard to video close up and the three amber/yellow lights need a second coat of clear yellow applied to calm them down from white. That said this light show was powered from the main circuit board timers to prove my theory works. Still needs a fine tune of the timers but the idea is good.

https://youtu.be/OUQEqvITnRU

More coming soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)