Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Fred Hocker’s Vasa II book update Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 26 December 2018 20:11:35

Groups:

Fred has started to deliver the VASA II text and illustrations to the press. They will start copyediting and layout after January 7, with printing expected in the late Spring 2019.
Gandale
#2 Posted : 26 December 2018 20:43:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrator

This is good news and will most certainly be on my hit list when it is finally published. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition...Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
suey
#3 Posted : 14 November 2020 21:11:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Anyone know if 2nd edition ever published?

Searched on Amazon and appears only 4x second hand hardback copies ranging from £75 - £350 ouch! Ebay has a copy at £60.
If decide to splash out, it would be nice to go for an updated version - if it exists.
Gandale
#4 Posted : 14 November 2020 22:40:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrator

Must admit I haven't seen anything on the publication of the second edition. Perhaps an email to the vasa museum where I'm sure you'll get the definitive answer.....

Regards

Alan
admin
#5 Posted : 15 November 2020 08:01:24

Groups: Administrator, Administrators

I seem to vaguely recall something about the unfriendly dissolution of the team publishing it. I’m not even 3% sure about that, so don’t hold me to it. Volume 1 is simply outstanding.
Mark Adams
suey
#6 Posted : 15 November 2020 16:53:06

I sent an email to the Vasa museum last night, not expecting a reply over the weekend!! I will update as and when they answer.
suey
#7 Posted : 16 November 2020 21:49:15

Well, I got a reply by 11:00 Monday - from Fred Hocker himself! Now that was a surprise.

So, he said the 2nd edition was published and available from the museum gift shop. I found it on the website, priced at 295 SEK - roughly £26 + shipping. A heck of a lot cheaper than Amazon and Ebay. Ordered.

Fred also included the information (posted by Tomick) that the gun carriages should be painted black. Also that "Their [DeAgostini] rigging plan is also oversimplyfied. If you want more detail, let me know"

(Alan fancy a challenge - if you get fed up of plastic ...? )

In a second email, Fred sent me 7x .pdf files - "a set of drawings we used to sell to model builders, which are a little out of date in some details, but are a good guide to how we think the ship looked."

I've only had a brief look, they include waterline(?) drawings. Anyone want a copy? PM me please.

Sue
Gandale
#8 Posted : 17 November 2020 00:05:35

Good to know the second edition has been published and you've managed to obtain a copy..... Thanks for the update...

I'm done with the Vasa so challenge declined I'm afraid....lol.... Have enough to learn dealing with a plastic build for now.....Laugh Laugh

Regards

Alan
suey
#9 Posted : 17 November 2020 20:03:08

Anyone wanting to follow me in obtaining this book;

Vasa museum shop

Go right to the bottom. Ordering is via clicking a link (near the top) that opens an email where you specify the product you want and give name & post address. I got an email reply pretty quick (post weekend) where they gave the shipping price (196 SEK to UK). Another link to a payments site (recommend having a Swedish to English translation handy ...!)

That's it. Done. Awaiting a bit of relief from lockdown boredom BigGrin

(still cheaper than either the Amazon or Ebay options, how someone can justify charging £300+ I have no idea)

Sue
Garylazereyes
#10 Posted : 20 November 2020 13:58:13

I was in contact with the Vasa gift shop today and they had no idea about this book. I even showed them this forum :)

did you speak to Fred directly to order it? Confused
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
suey
#11 Posted : 20 November 2020 15:45:13

Gary(?)

Very strange!! Left hand not knowing right hand??

No, I have not spoken to Fred, just received an email from him when I emailed the museum to ask if the 2nd edition of the book existed/available.

The book does exist - hopefully it is winging its way to me.

I ordered from the web site as in my previous post, I'd suggest trying that method.

No phone calls involved at all. Mind you I hope I didn't get their very last copy, that would suck!!

Good luck, Sue
Gandale
#12 Posted : 20 November 2020 17:26:00

Sue, just hope it is the 2nd edition you have managed to order and not the 1st. The last item on the shop list looks very like the 1st edition, identical to the copy I have, consisting of 212 pages. Only way you'll know for definite is when your copy arrives on your doorstep.

Regards

Alan
suey
#13 Posted : 20 November 2020 19:37:58

Thanks Alan, beginning to wonder myself now. After replying to Garylazereyes I then got an email from my contact at the museum shop saying "there is no second edition of "Vasa A Swedish Warship" for the moment ..."
Whether they are continuing to send my order, remains to be seen.
I am going to email Fred, to see if he can clarify.
It would by nice to get an updated version, not going to mind (too much!!) if it is the original version. I must admit 2nd edition was my interpretation of Tomick's "VASA II" - unless he meant book 2 of 2.
We'll see!
Sue
suey
#14 Posted : 24 November 2020 16:38:59

Emailed Fred and got 2 replies:

I think I know where the confusion lies. We have two major books on Vasa. One is a single-volume history (200 pages) of all aspects of the ship for a popular audience, with lots of color photos. The English version of this is called Vasa: A Swedish Warship. It is available in a revised edition (the original edition of 2011 sold out, and we updated it when we reprinted). So if you order this book, you will get the revised (2nd) edition.

The other book is Vasa I: The archaeology of a Swedish warship. This is the first volume (400 pages) of a multi-volume series of scientific reports, and concentrates on the how the ship was found and excavated. The next volume (which we usually call Vasa II) focuses on how the ship was rigged and sailed. It presents all of the finds of blocks, deadeyes, rope, sails, etc. as well as a reconstruction of the rig. This book will appear in two parts, with the first part in the layout process now. Covid has slowed down the production process somewhat, but we hope it will appear next spring.

The second expands on the previous paragraph, Fred asked me to post it here;

From reading the posts (I am a guest but not a member), it appears that the book you are all talking about is what we call Vasa II, the second volume of a projected six-volume scientific monograph about all aspects of the ship. Volume II is about the rigging, and so is of central interest to model builders. Could you post the following, please:

Vasa II, covering all of the rigging finds, the reconstruction of the rigging, and evaluation of how a ship like Vasa might be sailed, is currently in the layout process, but this has been delayed by the Covid pandemic. As it now stands, Vasa II will appear in two parts, in order to make it manageable (the total work is over 500 pages long with over 500 illustrations). The first part, covering the presentation of the archaeological remains in eleven chapters, should appear next year if the production process can recover from the disruption caused by the pandemic. The second part, which will be more integrated discussions of the rigging and sailing process, will then go through a faster layout and printing process, since the design and formatting work will already have been done. Part 1 will be physically larger, but part 2 will be accompanied by large scale (we are hoping 1:50) drawings of the reconstructed rig. The books will be available from the museum directly, but it will be easier to order them from the publisher (Nordic Academic Press) and their international distributors. Once we have a firm date for the book launch, I will provide the relevant information to this forum and others.

The eleven chapters in Part 1 are:
1. Introduction
2. Rigging elements fastened to the hull (chainwales, bitts and knights, catheads, fixed blocks and fairleads)
3. Spars (masts, yards and fittings fastened to them, such as sling cleats)
4. Tops
5. Tackles (deadeyes, euphroes, blocks, parrels, fairleads)
6. Cordage
7. Sails
8. Capstans and windlass
9. Anchors (including anchor buoys)
10. Steering
11. Navigation (compasses, bittacle, timekeeping, sounding leads)

Part 2 will cover:
12. Reconstruction of the rig as a whole
13. Sailing environment and performance
14. Economics and logistics of supplying the sails and rigging
15. The process of rigging the ship
16. Sailing the ship
17. Experience of sailing a modern reconstruction of this rig (Kalmar Nyckel)
18. Conclusions

Cheers,
Fred

So thanks to Fred, a very comprehensive explanation to my original query. I hope this is of use to everyone else.

Sue

birdaj2
#15 Posted : 24 November 2020 19:52:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sue

That is very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Harley Davidson Fat boy, Lam. Countach, Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
COLLECTING 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar
Gandale
#16 Posted : 24 November 2020 23:16:02

Thanks for posting this update Sue, at least now the question has been fully answered.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garylazereyes
#17 Posted : 25 November 2020 09:13:43

Thanks for posting this,
hopefully the book will come out when im about to do the rigging on my model :)
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa