Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Medric Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 07 April 2021 18:57:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Keep on with what you are doing. You seem well capable of dealing with any issues that may arise and I`m enjoying watching your progress.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Medric
#42 Posted : 12 April 2021 22:25:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I received pack four last week and got into it today. Four more frame ribs. Two aft and two foreword. Now that I have frame ribs for every section of the ship it's interesting to see the hull take on its shape. It is difficult to clamp things with the curved shape of things. The parts slide on the glue as if it were grease. I just hold them together for a little while and let dry well overnight. I figure that there will be enough overlapping parts that it will hold together like a spider web in its finished form. What a beautiful thing this is. Working with wood is very pleasurable. I'm already daydreaming about another ship model only with sails, rigging and all. Having both hawse pieces to work on simultaneously will be nice. I still have to re-cut forward rib # I also. My mistake may not show in the end but it bugs me.
Medric attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#43 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:34:05

Looking great, Medric! Excited to see how the hawse turns out once you get to it.
Medric
#44 Posted : 19 April 2021 22:11:57

I've wasted a whole week thinking that I could re-cut frame rib "I". It is nearly impossible to match the precision of the factory laser cutting. I'm close but no cigar. Very small imprecisions in my cutting were magnified and I ended up with a rib that was passable but nowhere near as good as the one I oversanded the fairing on. I will live with it and not be so picky. It will only show when I'm looking at it. Lesson learned. Don't blunder ahead and improvise when I should take the time to work things out according to specifications. I have my fairing template issue sorted and I will now forge ahead.
Medric attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#45 Posted : 19 April 2021 23:31:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrator

This is coming along beautifully, very well done indeed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tenderfoot
#46 Posted : 20 April 2021 14:48:32

Much better on the scroll saw than I have ever done!

I have had some success replicating bulkheads on a plank-on-bulkhead model, but those leave a lot of wiggle room for small errors in the cut. Since these are actual exposed ribs I think you are right, and going with the laser cut rib is a good option. Looking at the photo and it appears the area you are concerned with is the top-most part of the rib? Is this correct? If so, based on photos of the completed model, from the whales on up that part of the rib will be covered and not visible as you stated. May need a shim or two to make the outer planking look nice, but overall would look fine.

However, I get what you mean when you say you will know it is there. This gets me as well. Many times I have put a bit of extra work into something to fix an error that would likely never been seen by anyone and only known to me. But, just me knowing is enough to drive me to correct it. However, there are also many times when I need to convince myself that it is okay to move on and accept the mistake as character.

Whichever way you decide to go I am sure your will be fine. Your craftsmanship is stellar and the images you post show that. Keep up the excellent work! Looking forward to how it works out with this rib and what you choose to do.