Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Bending Planks for the Stern Options
Dontshootme
#21 Posted : 30 August 2011 09:17:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts
Groups: Registered

Castos wrote:

I will be off air until the middle of October as I will be returning to Afghanistan.
Cheers
Andre

Stay safe over there mate,see you when you get back.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Deepseacodmaster
#22 Posted : 08 September 2011 23:41:46

Castos wrote:
I am a newbie to the forum. I am having problems bending the planks to fit the stern - they either break or splinter. I have tried soaking and using a soldering iron. I have made a jig but it still splinters. Any advice will help. Any builders in the Pretoria area?

Thanks
Andre

Hi Andre

I am not an experienced builder and had the same problems as you.

This is how I got round it.

I have a cheep hand held steam cleaner.
I first glued the stern plank in the horizontal position with super glue GEL.
I left at least a 9 inch overhang of the plank. (some of them I extended by gluing a scrap piece on the end)
Then using the steamer nozzle I slowly and carefull holding the extended end of the plank bent it into the horizontal bend.
I then put the superglue gel under the bend and let it set in position. Once dry (2 minites) I switched on the steamer and twisted the plank into its vertical position.
I again used the superglue gel to glue it into position. I left about 10 mm at the end of the plank unglued.
Finally when the glue had set I cut the excess plank off.
Then ran ordinary superglue under the unglued end and pressed this down with another scrap plank.

Even when using this method on some of the first bends I got slight spliting of the plank. However using superglue under the split pieces and holding them down with a scrap piece I got over this.

Hope this helps.
P.S. Wish I had a bottle of SA. Cold Duck before I wrote this.
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

First Build HMS Victory and HMS Endeavour
Also Krick steam boat "Victoria"

Cheers
Ivan (Ordinary Seaman)
http://www.old-glossop.com
bOlithO
#23 Posted : 12 September 2011 21:53:56

Groups: Registered, registriert

Hi Andre,This is Russ from London.Im a Newie but im miles behind.(working issue 33,bought 75)Like you had im having same probs with stern planks.
I hope you overcame the problem and if so could you give me some feed back.Cheers
Castos
#24 Posted : 03 December 2011 15:36:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi to All

Back in South Africa until 27 Dec before returning to Afghan again. Enjoyed looking at issues 48 to 60 and will start this week to finish off the hull. Will continue every leave to carry on building bit by bit. Makes it more enjoyable and something to look forward to.

Greetings.

Andre
Current Build: HMS Victory

Built: HMS Bounty

Next Build: Sovereign of the Seas Started collecting. Redrawing of plans for Santisima Trinidad for a scratchbuild. Santisima Trinidad - waiting for launch.

Tiswas
#25 Posted : 04 December 2011 13:43:52

Good luck with your build and your next tour. Safe return.
TIS
Castos
#26 Posted : 26 December 2011 08:38:42

Good Day

A belated merry Xmas to all and may you have a prosperous new year.

I am flying out tomorrow and will return towards the end of March.

I have finished the hull, fitted the stem, fitted the Gallery and did the portside whales. Next break will complete the whales and continue with the decking.

For those of you who have problems using masking tape ( does not stick well on the hull) I made hooks (in the shape os an "S") from paper clips to which I attached rubber bands. I place the hooks in the gun ports and attach the rubber bands to the tension that I want. It works well.

See you all next year.
Current Build: HMS Victory

Built: HMS Bounty

Next Build: Sovereign of the Seas Started collecting. Redrawing of plans for Santisima Trinidad for a scratchbuild. Santisima Trinidad - waiting for launch.

arpurchase
#27 Posted : 26 December 2011 12:00:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Official Builds, Global Forum Support, Administrators

BigGrin Safe return m8
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .