Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Michaels USS New Jersey Options
magpie1832
#21 Posted : 28 January 2016 08:55:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

Looming great. What a difference PE makes to detail on ships. I dont build now without it.
Chris
On the Bench

Tamiya 1/350 King George V with Eduard set and wooden deck.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=31992
michael.rolph
#22 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:47:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's been quite a while since my last update, I'll have to pull my finger out if I hope to get the ship finished this year.

After my last post davetwin sent some advice on adding the photo etch. I didn't realise that the parts had tiny tabs to lift the pieces off the model, I have now purchased a small etch bender to help me with the remainder of the parts.

Guns

The final two guns were assembled, I first attempted to base coat the part using the air brush but I was unsuccessful in getting anything resembling a consistent coat. The air brush was replaced with a can of Citadel Corax White from games workshop, then painted with Revell aqua colour paints

michael.rolph attached the following image(s):
guns1_zpskp81cswr.jpg
paintedguns1_zpsca9lvybr.jpg
painted guns 2_zpsacbulctz.jpg
michael.rolph
#23 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:48:28

Hull and deck

The rudders and propeller shafts were added to the hull and primed white. The hull was painted with multiple thinned down layers. I had difficulty getting a straight line when using masking tape as the paint kept bleeding through in several areas. The solution I found (on a random imgur post) was to paint over the masking tape with the paint colour it is protecting.

Picture 1-3

The deck was painted and then the stick on deck components were added

Picture 4-6
The deck was then glued in place and the propellers painted and added.

Picture 7-8
rudder_zpsvoykelcc.jpg
painted hull 1_zpsvs5qknzw.jpg
painted hull 2_zps8sttcbcm.jpg
deck1_zpsvu5wugbe.jpg
deck2_zpsuvolizdl.jpg
deck3_zpssfp37gej.jpg
hullanddeck_zpstdtgukcl.jpg
rudder2_zpslzrbuxvw.jpg
michael.rolph
#24 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:50:19

Display Stand

The provided stand was assembled and painted. I may replace this later depending on how happy I am with the finished product.

stand_zpsb3mtapkd.jpg
stand 2_zpsor4tnd0l.jpg
painted stand_zpsysenv18k.jpg
michael.rolph
#25 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:51:20

Super structure base

The componets of the superstructure base were cleaned up and assembled. I used liquid green stuff from Games Workshop to fill in small gaps between the pieces.

Picture 1-3

Some parts had to be removed to make way for some PE parts.

Picture 4

Once base coated and painted the stick on deck pieces were applied.

Picture 5
base1_zpsyhrkekrq.jpg
walls_zpsentp4qax.jpg
base2_zpsbjks1p2f.jpg
walls2_zpspwwit1g0.jpg
island_zpsjgqimffp.jpg
michael.rolph
#26 Posted : 13 June 2016 21:52:22

Tower

The sections of the tower have been assembled and primed.

islandtower_zpsn3s86qwb.jpg
magpie1832
#27 Posted : 14 June 2016 07:54:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Great work Micheal. Your doing a great job. Its coming along now.
Chris
On the Bench

Tamiya 1/350 King George V with Eduard set and wooden deck.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=31992
darbyvet
#28 Posted : 14 June 2016 15:24:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looking really nice

Carl

tigerace
#29 Posted : 14 June 2016 15:44:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

She`s looking great Micheal!!!! how did you get on with the air brush? regards Phil
On the go: refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Gandale
#30 Posted : 14 June 2016 18:52:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrator

Lots of very nice work being done here Michael, she's coming along very nicely....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#31 Posted : 14 June 2016 20:18:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Official Builds, Global Forum Support, Administrators

Looking good
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#32 Posted : 14 June 2016 21:31:03

Wow, you certainly got your fair share of flash in that kit, looking great though.

Interested in how you find working with the liquid green stuff?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
michael.rolph
#33 Posted : 15 June 2016 09:47:27

tigerace wrote:
She`s looking great Micheal!!!! how did you get on with the air brush? regards Phil

My first attempt with the air brush using thinned down citadel paints lasted about 30 seconds before the paint clogged the brush.
I switched to the aqua colour base paint and attempted to undercoat the hull, blocked nozzle after a few seconds, tried thinning it and it puddled on the surface.
After undercoating with the citadel spray I attempted to put down the base grey but again I had issues with blockages and pooling. I did manage to get the mix and air pressure correct at one point but the coverage was poor. I may try again in the future (i'll have to buy a cheap kit to test on) but I'll have to try to airbrush specific pains to see if I can get a better result.
michael.rolph
#34 Posted : 15 June 2016 09:55:54

jase wrote:
Wow, you certainly got your fair share of flash in that kit, looking great though.

The liquid green stuff is quite good to work with, you don't have the mixing prep time you get with solid green stuff or milliput. Its liquid enough to get into the small cracks and the excess wipes off easily and doesn't tend to drip.
mogwai
#35 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:34:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi coming along very nicely, do love the battle ships, look forward to your progress cheers mick.
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
ian smith
#36 Posted : 16 June 2016 14:24:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Michael.
Looks a great kit. look forward to seeing your progress Ian.
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
jase
#37 Posted : 16 June 2016 21:00:16

michael.rolph wrote:
jase wrote:

The liquid green stuff is quite good to work with, you don't have the mixing prep time you get with solid green stuff or milliput. Its liquid enough to get into the small cracks and the excess wipes off easily and doesn't tend to drip.

Many thanks will giv it a try
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
michael.rolph
#38 Posted : 15 August 2016 19:46:54

Hi everyone, it's been a while since my last update. I've just finished moving house so everything’s been a bit hectic.
The following updates are for work I did before my move, hopefully I'll be able to start modelling again this week.

Entrance

This section sits just behind the bridge. The plastic doors and platform were removed and replaced with PE.

entrance1_zpsouacahjy.jpg
entrance2_zpsja2exurd.jpg
entrance3_zpslo4dd64c.jpg
michael.rolph
#39 Posted : 15 August 2016 19:47:57

Funnel tops

Both pieces were removed and the unwanted platforms around the back and sides were removed. Multiple holes were drilled around the circumference of the funnel and the centre section removed.

Picture 1-2

The PE sections were added, this was the most difficult PE to add so far as the pieces didn't fit together easily. Two pieces of etch formed cross shape that should have dropped into the top of the funnel but it was slightly too large and required a lot of work to get to fit.

Picture 3
Funnel1_zpsuauouxmc.jpg
Funnel2_zpsw4xrzszm.jpg
Funnel3_zpsup811yeq.jpg
michael.rolph
#40 Posted : 15 August 2016 19:49:00

Main Gun Detector

The pieces and PE were removed. The plastic supports for the detector were removed. The replacement PE supports were added and some PE railing glued in place. The instructions called for holes to be drilled into either side of the detector and for it to be held in place with PE pins, these pins were too small to pick up and position correctly so the detector was glued in place.

maingundetector2_zpsarcpswgk.jpg
maingundetector3_zpsevwrbh9x.jpg
maingundetector4_zpsyno5xcyq.jpg