Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Anyone using an Ultrasonic Cleaner for your Airbrush? Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 17 June 2016 14:54:20

Groups:

Another use other than for cleaning jewellery and small metal model parts..
https://www.youtube.com/...feature=player_embedded
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 17 June 2016 17:30:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I bought one ages ago and put it in tools:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=16339

Its great for cleaning loads of stuff like etch parts and anything that needs degreasing like metal cannons before using blackening solutions. When I first used it on my airbrushes which I thought were clean the amount of dirt removed from them was suprising. It will also clean the wife's jewelry so earns you loads of browny points
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#3 Posted : 17 June 2016 18:16:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

arpurchase wrote:

Its great for cleaning loads of stuff like etch parts and anything that needs degreasing like metal cannons before using blackening solutions. When I first used it on my airbrushes which I thought were clean the amount of dirt removed from them was suprising. It will also clean the wife's jewelry so earns you loads of browny points

My staff uses my ultrasoinc cleaner at work for their jewelry.You have to be a bit careful though if you put anything with a stone in there.Sometimes the ultrasoincs will loosen a setting and the stone will fall out.

Tomick
#4 Posted : 17 June 2016 21:12:11

Groups:

arpurchase wrote:

Yeah just wanted to highlight its use for airbrushes too.
jase
#5 Posted : 18 June 2016 07:49:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This look interesting

I have a sonic toothbrush, that's pretty good too
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tf64
#6 Posted : 18 June 2016 13:33:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Have used one for many years for degreasing plastic and metal parts but mainly for cleaning my airbrushes once a week, I think it is the only way to clean them properly.

One thing to remember never place the entire airbrush in the cleaner! the mechanics of the airbrush has many different parts that must not be cleaned as they can lose their mechanical functions using the Ultrasonic cleaner so keep to manufactures instructions.

You can test the power by placing a strip of kitchen foil in the main tray let it run for 3/4 minutes to see if it has holes, if it has your cleaner will be working as it should, bearing in mind that the cheaper one's many not be as powerful as the more expensive one's.

This is my Ultrasonic:

My Ultrasonic.

Parts to be cleaned.

Foil Test.

All clean and back in the box.

Regards

Trev.

Building: Artesania Stage-Coach H.M.S.Victory / H.M.S. Victory Cross Section / De-Agostini Spitfire. / Short Sunderland 111 ( Flying Boat )

Full Kits: San Francisco. De-Ago Bremen. Sovereign of the seas. Artesania Stage-Coach.

Finished builds: Westland Lysander MK.11 plus large Diorama.

greyhawk
#7 Posted : 23 June 2016 14:11:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I need to do that foil test. I've got a Bosch 5020 the other day and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything but hum.
michu
#8 Posted : 23 June 2016 15:29:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

What are you filling the cleaner with? Is water plus washing up liquid enough, or should something else be used? Is there a difference between cleaning after acrylics, enamel and lacquers?
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
tf64
#9 Posted : 23 June 2016 21:17:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi all,

In answer to above I use ultimate airbrush cleaner from air-craft.net I have found that it is a fast and effective cleaner, and works well with all Acrylic paints.

Also it is not overly aggressive as some, and so far has not affected the seals.

It depends how far you won't to go, for me if I am spraying Enamel I will clean with Enamel thinners first then Ultrasonic with Ultimate cleaner.

If I am spraying with Acrylic I will first clean with Acrylic thinners then with Ultimate cleaner both with outstanding results.

Then what do I use to clean the Ultrasonic? Washing up liquid.

Hope this helps but only a guide for cleaning, check with manufactures guide.

Regards to all

Trev.
Building: Artesania Stage-Coach H.M.S.Victory / H.M.S. Victory Cross Section / De-Agostini Spitfire. / Short Sunderland 111 ( Flying Boat )

Full Kits: San Francisco. De-Ago Bremen. Sovereign of the seas. Artesania Stage-Coach.

Tomick
#10 Posted : 23 June 2016 21:28:33

Groups:

Be mindful not to use any kind of solvent cleaner in the unit unless it has been designed for such.
davetwin
#11 Posted : 25 June 2016 16:09:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ive heard people mention using ultrasonic cleaners before but never really taken much notice, I think I might look at getting one myself now after seeing this.
davetwin
#12 Posted : 30 June 2016 15:27:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I took the plunge and ordered an Ultrasonic cleaner which arrived today.

I started off doing the foil test that Trev mentioned and it seemed to be working fine with lots of holes developing in the foil. I proceeded to do all three of my airbrushes next using ultimate cleaning fluid. Now I thought I had a pretty good cleaning routine but was surprised by how much still came out of them. Really pleased with the purchase and would recommend one to everyone.

I've even used it now to clean my titanium neckless using just water and that came out sparkling.

Now I just need to wait for my new chair to arrive as my old dining room one was giving me terrible backache
tf64
#13 Posted : 30 June 2016 18:49:57

Hi Dave,you won't regret buying your cleaner it saves so much time.

Regards

Trev.

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 31 July 2016 14:40:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

One of the youtube sites i subscribe too is an excellant one by cruorangelussilicis (member of this forum i believe) and watched with interest his mention that putting the main body of the airbrush in the cleaner can potentially cause an issue if the airvalve is soldered too the body in that the 2 can part company.

Hope i am not breaking rules but here is the link. Might be worth being careful as many airbrushes are expensive investments. I see above that Trevor mentions not putting the whole body in the cleaner.

https://youtu.be/dIZjY1dmyNE
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Harley Davidson Fat boy, Lam. Countach, Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
COLLECTING 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar