Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

40 years of Modeling celibrations. Options
jase
#1 Posted : 25 January 2018 21:54:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

So Later this year, August to be more precise, I will be celebrating my 48th birthday and on that day it will be 40 years since I first picked up a model kit.

my first ever model kit was an Airfix Spitfire that I got for my Birthday from my Dad, he helped me make it. we only had one pot of paint so the whole plane was painted blue except the pilot which was left unpainted, but I recall the plastic was blue anyway.

For Christmas that year I got my first model ship, Airfix 1:600 Prinz Eugen I also bot a book about the Titanic, I had learnt about it at school and it had fascinated me.

I wanted to do something to mark the occasion as modelling has been a big part of my life ever since

So this is the Plan On the run up to my Birthday I will be building two Airfix Spitfires the exact same kit That I first built all that time ago. the first I will build just as I did nearly 40 years ago in gloss blue paintBigGrin

The second I will build as best as I can to show how far I have come, or maybe not in 40 years LOL LOL

This was my children's idea and I love it.

This will then lead into the first of two 'ultimate builds'. As most of you know Ships is my thing although I do do the odd other thing from time to time. so the first Ultimate build will Trumpeters amazing 1:350 Prinz Eugen to celebrate the first ship o ever built, it will be ultimate as it will have two kits of etch, aftermarket decals, replacement barrels and wood deck as well as being fully rigged.

Following on from this and hopefully timed to compleat just before my 50th Birthday (To which I have the project of a lifetime planned Cool ) will be my Ultimate build of RMS Titanic. this will be ultimate because it will not only be the build of the most accurate kit on the market it will have wood deck, a lot of scratch building a huge pile of etch and be fully wired for lighting.

I will be posting some kit reviews soon as the two spits arrive and build will start in time to finish the two fighters for my Birthday

Keep your eyes on this space

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#2 Posted : 04 February 2018 17:33:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

So the two spits have have arrived.

In the first photo is the 1975 kit, this is the one I got in 1978. I know this to be the case because for many years that box was used for storing all my modelling tools, well thats one change in 40 yearsBigGrin

The box below, perhaps ironically is the 1978 box, the kit and decals are all the same as the 1975 version as indeed is the box art the box is just a little bigger.

Opening both boxes and the 1978 kit is still sealed, the instructions still fairly white but the decals have yellowed.
The 1975 kit is not in a bag so I guess must have been open at some point but all parts are present including the display stand - remember them Cool

Builds will start in the aviation thread once my Bristol is done.Cool

Jase
jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_2838.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#3 Posted : 04 February 2018 17:47:58

Groups:

I seem to have missed the start of this thread back in January, but what a lovely idea it is Jase, I really like that, you should be very proud of your kids for coming up with something like that - they obviously love their Dad! Cool ThumpUp

You might be able to rescue those 'yellowed' decals Jase, I've done it many times in the past. All you do is place them as flat as possible in a sealable clear plastic bag (a sandwich bag is ideal as long as it doesn't have any manufactured air holes in it), to keep out any damp or condensation that might completely ruin the decals. Then tape it flat against a window pane (indoors obviously) with the decals facing out and preferably in a room that gets a lot of sunlight. Give it about a week or 10 days and the sunlight will bleach out the yellowing leaving the decal film clear again. It will also return any 'yellowed' white parts back to their original whiteness, but keep an eye on it as it will also slowly bleach the other colours as well, but it does seem to take longer on any darker colours than it does on clear or white?

Hope that helps mate? Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
jase
#4 Posted : 04 February 2018 18:44:30

Many thanksnfor the decal tip i may have to negotiate that with Paula though

Jase
-Mark Twain