Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Tamiya 1/350 King George v Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 22 April 2018 19:57:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

Hi all I was given this and the Bismark for a Christmas pressie from my daughter and son I bought what i thought was the pe for this kit (which cost more than the kit and I now discover is still not the full pe for it, i will buy the rest but just have to wait a bit) so I was thinking I quite like the pics by Eduard and pontos (others are availiable) of the pe on the finished ship with no paint on it and was thinking maybe I would do that with just a slight difference being I would weather the pe but leave it unpainted. What do you all think, I quite like the pe showing I think it adds interest(i know it's not very accurate but let's face it I'm pretty rubbish with this modelling lark and I very seldom build as per the instructions anyway.
So here is my start on this build

Made a start on the decking (Will be using pastels for the decking this is just the base coat.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 22 April 2018 20:30:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Tech Support, Official Builds

Great start , look forward to seeing this progress.

Chris Cool
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 25 April 2018 15:02:48

Well im a bit annoyed with eduard.
I started putting the pe portholes on and got 10 done and thought hang on theres something wrong here ( they give you 50 pe portholes) counted down one side theres 63 (it does say optional parts) optional or not they should at least supply enough for the job. And now im thinking about it what about all the pprtholes on the super structure.
When i built the warspite i had loads of parts left on tge sprue that wernt mentioned anywhere in tge instructions ive since discovered they were ment to be portholes they look a bit different to the ones eduard supply but maybe i will use them.
I managed to get the portholes off without damaging the paintwork too much. As i say maybe i will try the warspite ones will have a count up and see if theres enough.
jase
#4 Posted : 25 April 2018 21:36:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi ken. Looking forward to this build i did both of these kits in 80s.

Its likly that the eduard set of scuttles is designed for the superstructure not the hull. You can get hull scuttles from places like white ensign models for not to much

Jase
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 26 April 2018 19:24:17

Hi all well I've done the decking and weathered the hull.

I'm surprised how much bigger this is than the warspite she also quite a bit wider.

kpnuts
#6 Posted : 29 April 2018 19:35:15

Hi all well I hope you can see these pics, here is the next update.

pemberg
#7 Posted : 29 April 2018 20:17:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Nice work Ken, great job with the weathering.

Graeme
jase
#8 Posted : 29 April 2018 22:09:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Comming along nicely
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 04 May 2018 20:15:03

Hi all here is another update

kpnuts
#10 Posted : 05 May 2018 09:51:18

Hi all well the rest of the eduard pe has arrived now I have to cut off all the little boxes I just spent ages painting on the decks also the blast shields and all the doors off all the superstructure 
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 05 May 2018 10:47:31

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Tech Support, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Coming on great Ken, nice work.

Mark
kpnuts
#12 Posted : 05 May 2018 19:25:26

Hi all well I've added a miniscule amount of the huge amount of pe to this and I've realised someone made a big mistake how do you open these doors.

Encase you can't see from the pics there is a box about 1 mill in font of a 3 mill door 

jase
#13 Posted : 05 May 2018 20:41:09

etch is looking great

Jase
kpnuts
#14 Posted : 06 May 2018 18:35:20

Well it's been a long time since I put a ship on a stand (usually I have them in a dio of some sort) I think the last one I put on a stand was the La Royale de France.
I'm not sure I like the supplied stand maybe I will put her in a dry dock.

Plymouth57
#15 Posted : 06 May 2018 19:25:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Looking really great there Ken!Cool The supplied stands never seem to look that good somehow. I think you can't beat a good hardwood base with a couple of brass pillars for support. One of my old model ship books had a great method of buying a wooden drawer front (with the ogee shaped edges) and using the bottom part of a couple of brass door knobs (the smaller drawer handle types) as the supports. Very effective and pretty cheap to buy!Cool
Keep them coming!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 10 May 2018 18:38:34

Hi all well this will probably be my last update before we get back from our hols we will be packing tomorrow night.
Got to say I'm really looking forward to a week in the sun doing nothing at all with a drink in my hand and my every whim catered for.

I'm thinking of drilling out all the portholes (I say thinking as there are a lot of them)
tigerace
#17 Posted : 12 May 2018 14:51:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Well she looks great KenDrool Drool i have to say the etch does make the difference ThumpUp ThumpUp it looks epic Love regards PhilCool
On the go: Deag's 1/250 Akagi, Hachette`s 1/16 Tigertank, a series of muscle cars, Hachette U-96, 1/8 Delorean, 1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 (early) on SSYMS Flatbed rail car.

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 12 May 2018 16:58:39

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Tech Support, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Looks excellent Ken, she sure is a fair size. Have a great holiday.BigGrin

Mark
mogwai
#19 Posted : 12 May 2018 18:14:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking good ,nice work with the etch.cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
pemberg
#20 Posted : 12 May 2018 20:23:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team

Great work Ken, the difference the etch makes is certainly worth the effort.

Graeme