Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
R2-D2 Battery Information Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 25 July 2018 09:27:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

Information about R2-D2's batteries and essential information regarding charging is provided within issue 92 along with further information provided in the operational guide at the end of the collection.

The R2-D2 collection is supplied with a single cell 'test charger' & USB cable (supplied with issue 92) that both charges and gives a digital readout of the condition of each cell.

It is important that the lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells are all in the same condition before installing them into your R2-D2.

You should charge each cell individually checking that the readout is the same for all six cells when charged, and dispose of any cell that does not match and do not use them in your R2-D2.

Once you have 6 matched cells, these can then be installed into the R2 battery box (also supplied with issue 92) and charged thereafter as a whole within R2, using the external charging socket/coupling lead.

The photo below is of the single cell 'test charger' (supplied with issue 92).

NOTE: Do not charge the batteries, attempt to fit them to the battery box, or install them in R2-D2 until instructed, when all the internal wiring is connected up.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_9861.JPG
Tomick
#2 Posted : 25 July 2018 12:42:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Administrator, registriert, Official Builds, Tech Support

DeAgostini is planning to offer a battery pack via the R2-D2 site page.

NOTE: Do not charge the batteries, attempt to fit them to the battery box, or install them in R2-D2 until instructed, when all the internal wiring is connected up.

Battery/Cell spec Information:

Six of type: 18650 lithium-ion batteries
3.7v (or 3.6v) 'nominal'
Button-top
At least 3 Amps discharge
At least 2000mAh capacity - (recommend 2600-2800mAh)
"Unprotected" battery type

The higher the mAh capacity, the longer R2-D2's standby/operating time, but the battery pack will take longer to charge. It is quite common to find cells that include internal protection circuitry. Do not buy/use the cell type described as 'Protected', as R2-D2 has his own protection circuit.

We strongly recommend that customers await the arrival of issue 92 for perusal of battery guide - A DeAgostini battery offer will be noted into the R2-D2 site page.

R2-D2's battery box is designed so that the button-top type cell with a raised terminal (at the + positive end) only makes contact when the cells are fitted into the battery box the correct way round. Cells with a flat end at both ends will not make contact and cannot be used in your R2-D2 model. It’s very easy to buy the wrong type. This is mainly because a lot of button-top batteries have internal protection circuitry - and even when they appear not to, it’s often because the manufacturer hasn’t given the full spec.

You may find cells described as 'high drain'/'high discharge' (intended for use in high-power applications such as power tools or vaping devices). These are fine to use, so long as they are the correct voltage & minimum amperage. R2-D2's battery box has protection circuitry that will ensure that the cells are only drained at the correct rate.

The cell type is made by different companies such as Panasonic, LG, Samsung or Sony etc. All six cells should be from the same manufacturer and exact same spec, and you should buy all six cells at the same time (this should ensure that all six cells have the same condition). Be wary of buying cells described as 'used', 'job lot', 'pre-owned', etc - or any that are not in their original packaging. We recommend that you buy from a reputable supplier, and only a recognised brand.

Note - If in future you need to replace the battery pack, you should repeat the cell matching process with the replacement cells and that all six cells are replaced.

Note: DO NOT connect the battery box leads to the R2-D2 (or anything else) until issue 100

A photo of the battery box is shown below (supplied in issue 92).

Battery ageing and storage

Lithium-ion batteries degrade over time. This degrading results in the capacity becoming reduced, and is caused by cell ageing. Cells age simply through normal use, but ageing is also affected by the conditions of storage. Batteries have a limited lifespan of 300-500 cycles (a cycle being one theoretical full discharge and charge) after which their capacity becomes reduced to the point of being unusable. Depending on the level of discharge, the number of theoretical cycles the cell can provide changes. For example a cell taken to 100% depth of discharge (DoD) should last for 300-500 cycles, but a cell taken to only 50% DoD will be able to provide 1200-1500 cycles. Cell ageing is increased by high DoD, storage and usage at high temperatures, and if the cell is stored at a high state of charge.

There are a few aspects that need to be considered when storing R2-D2, that of battery degradation, and self-discharge. Never store R2-D2 in a fully discharged state (or as a result of self-discharge during storage) as this will degrade the cells. During storage, R2-D2 (and any spare cells) should be maintained in a partially charged state. Any spare cells should be stored within insulating containers that are designed for this purpose (often supplied with the cell purchase).

A point of safety: Lithium-ion cells must be considered fragile and should never be crushed, exposed to flames or excessive heat. They can become damaged if dropped and may leak or suffer from 'thermal runaway' if the damage creates an internal short circuit. Never use damaged cells and dispose of them at a recycling centre.

A complete R2-D2 User Guide is available to download in PDF format from the R2-D2 site page (behind 'The Build' tab) - issue 100 only provides a basic overview of how to operate.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_9862.JPG
semaj
#3 Posted : 25 July 2018 13:34:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks for providing this information. Battery safety is paramount with this type of cell.

You mention that once all the cells are charged and balanced we can then continue to charge there after in the r2. Does that mean that the r2 contains a balanced charge unit, and charge cut off protection to stop charging once they are all full?
[center]building: R2D2
Building: Red Bull RB7 RC kit
Tomick
#4 Posted : 25 July 2018 17:06:59

semaj wrote:
Thanks for providing this information. Battery safety is paramount with this type of cell.

You mention that once all the cells are charged and balanced we can then continue to charge there after in the r2. Does that mean that the r2 contains a balanced charge unit, and charge cut off protection to stop charging once they are all full?
We’ve not yet been provided with the spec of external charger as yet, but considering that R2-D2's battery box has protection circuitry that will ensure that the cells are only drained at the correct rate, I am sure it also has overcharge protection.
semaj
#5 Posted : 25 July 2018 19:26:45

That's great to hear. I understand its still early days.
semaj
#6 Posted : 26 July 2018 20:52:46

dont buy trustfire or ultrafire batteries. theyre known to be unsafe, some even fake, and certainly dont meet anywhere near the criteria they state. stick to suggestions here such as sony, panasonic, samsung ect. known brands. buty i dont think they make many button top cells. they are a bit of a minefield.
Big James
#7 Posted : 29 July 2018 16:39:56

What amperage of battery is required for the R2 unit?
Big James
#8 Posted : 30 July 2018 06:43:16

Thanks Tomick. Knowing that some of the electrics are still being worked on it makes sense that the final amperage required needs to be finalised.
Tomick
#9 Posted : 30 July 2018 06:52:47

Big James wrote:
Thanks Tomick. Knowing that some of the electrics are still being worked on it makes sense that the final amperage required needs to be finalised.
The particular cell type is a minefield of spec variance and the safest route would be to buy the battery pack offer when it becomes available which will be correct in every way - buying the cheapest could well result in problems of one kind or another or be dangerous!
There are way too many parameters to consider, and lots of ‘budget’ suppliers whose listings give completely inadequate specifications. The editorial of issue 92 (and here) should be treated as a warning of the many pitfalls (rather than a buyer’s guide) and go for the route that you know to be correct.
Tomick
#10 Posted : 08 August 2018 09:42:30

Big James wrote:
What amperage of battery is required for the R2 unit?
The manufacturer advises that the battery Amperage should be 3A and above.
The control circuitry within R2-D2 which obviates the need for protection circuitry also deals with variation in amperage output of the batteries.
luigione
#11 Posted : 08 August 2018 12:23:58

We'll wait, R2 isn't going anywhere soon
Tomick
#12 Posted : 26 October 2018 18:23:21

DeAgostini R2-D2 batteries offer update:

By the time the build is finished - issue 100 - all information pertaining to batteries and the app should be made available on the R2-D2 web page.

This will also be clearly outlined in the editorial of issue 100 of the magazine directing customers to the website for more information.
darkoverlord
#13 Posted : 04 November 2018 09:47:53

Regarding batteries, I have received issue 92 prompting me to purchase the batteries. As recommended in the issue I went to an online auction site and have made purchase. In hindsight I should have looked on this sticky before hand. Instead of making the consumer wait until issue 100 is released would it not have been more prudent to have added a link to a reputable battery supplier within issue 92. After nearly 2 years of collecting issues I like most or all other builders are keen to see the unit in full operation once we have all issues at hand. It is therefor essential that we would have the batteries in hand prior to receiving issue 100. Yes the auction site is more than likely cheaper than the supplier recommended, but I would have rather paid the extra to ensure the quality of the batteries purchased.
stuk71
#14 Posted : 04 November 2018 10:10:07

darkoverlord wrote:
As recommended in the issue I went to an online auction site and have made purchase.

I thought it was not recommended to use auction sites?
IanW
#15 Posted : 04 November 2018 12:45:17

I've been advocating strongly on one of the Facebook groups for people to hold off buying the batteries: and I've tried hard to dissuade a couple of purchases of items that were dodgy in the extreme.

I think it would be super helpful to put a notice either as a slip of paper in all upcoming issues, and/or on the main website to be clear that people really should wait and check online until they get the full information in Issue 100 as to supplier, before purchasing their own batteries - it'll be a few days extra wait, but better than losing the battle for want of a nail.
Tomick
#16 Posted : 04 November 2018 15:12:07

darkoverlord wrote:
Regarding batteries, I have received issue 92 prompting me to purchase the batteries. As recommended in the issue I went to an online auction site and have made purchase. In hindsight I should have looked on this sticky before hand. Instead of making the consumer wait until issue 100 is released would it not have been more prudent to have added a link to a reputable battery supplier within issue 92. After nearly 2 years of collecting issues I like most or all other builders are keen to see the unit in full operation once we have all issues at hand. It is therefor essential that we would have the batteries in hand prior to receiving issue 100. Yes the auction site is more than likely cheaper than the supplier recommended, but I would have rather paid the extra to ensure the quality of the batteries purchased.
You’ve answered this for yourself, you cannot be sure that your auction site source are reputable batteries., ie they could be dangerous and you run the risk of damage to your R2 or worse!
JokerVisionFPV
#17 Posted : 04 November 2018 21:04:45

By online auction site, you must mean ebay, which has reputable online stores within itself. Most 18650s come with a QR code. I purchased 4 panasonic 18650 batteries with high mah for something else and they have not once failed me. But yes if you purchase cheap 18650s you will run the risk of, god forbid, something bad happening.
But i agree that maybe a letter or earlier issues could of had the battery information in? But either way, R2D2 will be moving around before we all know it.

And greetings so i been following the forums for a year but never posted 🙈. Im up to issue 94 (no battery box issue atm thou)
Building; R2D2
sapper
#18 Posted : 03 December 2018 11:22:01

Hope someone can help. I am new to this type of build. With regards to the batteries I am having great difficulty in sourcing ones with no protection. Given that the R2D2 has built in protection, will batteries labelled as protected still be okay to use. Double protection is the way I look at it. Thanks.
Tomick
#19 Posted : 03 December 2018 12:57:24

sapper wrote:
Hope someone can help. I am new to this type of build. With regards to the batteries I am having great difficulty in sourcing ones with no protection. Given that the R2D2 has built in protection, will batteries labelled as protected still be okay to use. Double protection is the way I look at it. Thanks.
You must not use "Protected" batteries.
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:40:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Will there be a USA source for the batteries? it would be difficult to get them shipped from UK.

Carl