Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
R2-D2 Battery & Test charger Information Options
JokerVisionFPV
#41 Posted : 10 December 2018 19:29:29

Groups: Registered

Not sure why people are constantly giving the admins crap about the app, yes its annoying but s**t happens, it could be alot worse! It could of been cancelled, or you could of had to pay for it, like it was originally said at the start.
I havent even got my last 4 issues yet i subscribe directly to DeAgo, which is bloody annoying, but it happens.
And whats more is, it will happen when its ready.
From what i have read, the app has been uploaded to the play store but its awaiting approval from google before you can use or see it.
So sit back and chill. It still works without the app as the voice commands still let it do alot of things.

Well done to the admins for keeping us in some kind of light while others are quickly being pushed towards the darkside..

Keep calm and remember your training.. 😂
Building; R2D2
jennings74
#42 Posted : 10 December 2018 19:56:31

18650.uk Samsung, 3000mAh, unprotected button top

Just purchased these as I gave up waiting for DeA to announce an official supplier. If you use the code R2d2 on the check out page you get a few quid off. Free second class postage, £28 for 6!!!
semaj
#43 Posted : 13 December 2018 20:27:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

if it helps, i have seen a few videos posted on facebook of peoples robots working as intended at this point (starting up, saber pop up, arms fold out and patrol mode) with the samsung 30q button top batteries purchased from said website.

so anyone having problems it is likely down to bad batteries, poor connections or faulty circuits. the hard part is trying to eliminate things and fault find as there is a lot of circuits here.

i have noticed off peoples videos though that sometimes if an object is too small (such as a chair leg for e.g) the sensors might not always pick it up, not a fault, just the object it too small. also if the space is a bit cramped it can confuse them a little bit and may sometimes bump into something. again, not something i would see as a fault.

hope this helps
[center]building: R2D2
Building: Red Bull RB7 RC kit
BarefacedDeath
#44 Posted : 16 December 2018 13:23:44

after checking everywhere online and offline :), I managed to find these but they are selling fast - i think only 7 sets left:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183519306971
semaj
#45 Posted : 16 December 2018 15:14:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ecolux have a problem with the buttons on their batteries which they have said about on facebook.

What people need to realize is (and i didnt know this either until recently) is that there is no 18650 produced by manufacturers with a button top. They are all manufactured as flat top cells and the buttons are all added post manufacture.

The guys over on the 18650.co.uk website are physically spot welding the buttons on which is far safer and a much better contact on the cell and in the pack. The guys at ecolux have slightly different buttons that are just stuck on with double sided tape plus then there is a cardboard disc that sits on top which obscures the button and they dont make contact in the pack.

Nothing wrong with the cells themselves, its just that the button end is simply not good enough for what we require.

See post #54
[center]building: R2D2
Building: Red Bull RB7 RC kit
Markwarren
#46 Posted : 16 December 2018 18:10:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

As you are only at issue 92 you may want to wait for the approved batteries. However, if you do purchase batteries elsewhere be very sure you get the right specification and from a reputable supplier. A guide for the type of batteries can be found on the troubleshooting guide.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=30247
Niall
#47 Posted : 20 December 2018 16:09:59

Any news on the battery pack offer that DeAgostini were due to make available on the R2-D2 site page ?.
Tomick
#48 Posted : 20 December 2018 17:24:41
Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups:

Niall wrote:
Any news on the battery pack offer that DeAgostini were due to make available on the R2-D2 site page ?.
Not as yet
CT71
#49 Posted : 21 December 2018 19:06:38

Groups:

So really this was designed with such a very unique battery requirement that even Deagostini themselves can't source, and now it's the Christmas break so we can forget anything for the next two weeks.

Meanwhile I'm looking at a £900 R2D2 ornament with some explaining to do to my family why I spent so much on an ornament which I could have spent on other things.
Tomick
#50 Posted : 21 December 2018 19:15:00
Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups:

CT71 wrote:
So really this was designed with such a very unique battery requirement that even Deagostini themselves can't source, and now it's the Christmas break so we can forget anything for the next two weeks.

Meanwhile I'm looking at a £900 R2D2 ornament with some explaining to do to my family why I spent so much on an ornament which I could have spent on other things.
A battery source is in process and there are a number of battery sources noted by members which are suitable to buy.
R2D2 Builder
#51 Posted : 21 December 2018 21:34:16

Of course DeAgostini won't endorse any brand/batteries recommended on this forum only vaguely state that "some" are ok without specificity, leaving the buyer to guess. It is my opinion that anyone who does not use the recommended batteries that DeAgostini eventually endorses (whenever that happens) will be SOL if something bad happens.....such as the Droid being damaged and/or something far worse...even if you meet the specifications recommended in issue 92. This is why I am waiting for the exact brand that DeAgostini will hopefully offer soon.

Using unprotected batteries is already dangerous even if the unit has protection circuitry. It is my opinion that protected batteries prevent over-charging outside or inside the unit, regardless of the protection the unit itself offers. The batteries recommended here, since they must be unprotected, are possibly a danger if they are overcharged by the user. Additionally, this is why they are so hard to find....most 18650 batteries are protected.

It still irks me that this issue was not resolved years ago.
Norb Ecolux
#52 Posted : 22 December 2018 13:28:13

Dear R2-D2 fans and existing customers,

Ecolux have always took great pride in their work and ensuring the best quality batteries at competitive prices over 7 years, however we have recently discovered a batch of button top unprotected cells mostly used for R2-D2 models and Video Door Bells we're defective.
The button top versions of the LG 18650 MH1 3200, LG 18650 HG2 3000 , Samsung 29E 2900 and the LG 18650 MJ1 3500 (maybe some other models - but not reported yet) were all found to not have the button at the positive terminal properly welded to the contact below, as a result the button can in some cases slip off the positive contact meaning no power can flow out of the cell.
This issue only affected button top cells bought from mid of November up to 10th December 2018, all cells bought after that date are fine.
We would like to assure you that we did test these cells in line with our company policy and they passed as expected on the discharge tests and internal resistance tests however without complete disassembly of the battery we would not have been able to detect this minor defect.
We have taken every step possible so far to make sure the manufacturer / supplier is aware of the problem, and we will be returning the cells to them in the coming days.
If you bought any of these cells from Ecolux please do not try to investigate the cell yourself, do not disassemble them, please return them for a replacement or a refund as soon as possible.
I would like to thank you for your continued support and trust in both myself and my company and wish you all the very best for the festive season and 2019.
Kind regards,
Norbert Polyak
PM for free replacements or refunds , please.
Norb Ecolux attached the following image(s):
49120986_2330734190490132_1168268320403619840_n.jpg
Tomick
#53 Posted : 22 December 2018 13:48:05
Groups:

Hi Norb, that’s a welcome offer and thank you for informing the forum/those that purchased. Cool
philljwarren
#54 Posted : 23 December 2018 12:06:19

I've been patient with the battery issue and have held off ordering any until DeAg provide their approved link, but I have to say they've really dropped the ball on this.

They've had 2 years to prepare, the mag with the battery info came out months ago, lots of people have completed the build and DeAg STILL haven't been able to provide a link.

No disrespect to the admins who are between a rock & a hard place and doing a sterling job of fielding all the enquiries.
Tomick
#55 Posted : 23 December 2018 12:33:43
Groups:

philljwarren wrote:
I've been patient with the battery issue and have held off ordering any until DeAg provide their approved link, but I have to say they've really dropped the ball on this.

They've had 2 years to prepare, the mag with the battery info came out months ago, lots of people have completed the build and DeAg STILL haven't been able to provide a link.

No disrespect to the admins who are between a rock & a hard place and doing a sterling job of fielding all the enquiries.
Its not been as simple a process as you might think and whatever DeAgostini make available has to meet UK/EU battery compliance regulations, which in this field of battery is littered with non-compliant batteries and numerous suppliers breaking regulations in how they import or modify such to facilitate sale.

The delay is unfortunate and has been compounded by the need for legal compliance. A DeAgostini battery source is ongoing, update of which we should have news of in the new year.
figuerres
#56 Posted : 23 December 2018 16:48:15

Tomick wrote:
philljwarren wrote:

Its not been as simple a process as you might think and whatever DeAgostini make available has to meet UK/EU battery compliance regulations, which in this field of battery is littered with non-compliant batteries and numerous suppliers breaking regulations in how they import or modify such to facilitate sale.

The delay is unfortunate and has been compounded by the need for legal compliance. A DeAgostini battery source is ongoing, update of which we should have news of in the new year.

I for one totally understand this problem. in my own research i found that the standards for them are a huge mess and that the battery industry should be ashamed of the mass of confusing parts they are making. if flashlight batteries were this confusing we would all still be using oil lamps i think.
ok a joke but heck ....
R2D2 Builder
#57 Posted : 03 January 2019 23:20:47

Tomick:

It is the New Year, where are we at with the two + year battery issue? I just received pack 24 in the mail and would like to order batteries soon.
skyfire
#58 Posted : 04 January 2019 08:46:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published Medal

Does it have to be Lithium Ion, since all that is needed are ones with a rating of 3.7 volts, (or 3.6v nominal) ??
Tomick
#59 Posted : 04 January 2019 09:10:33
Groups:

skyfire wrote:
Does it have to be Lithium Ion, since all that is needed are ones with a rating of 3.7 volts, (or 3.6v nominal) ??
It’s not as simple as 3.6/7 volts, you also need a minimum capacity discharge rating of 3 Amps (10 is ample)
Tomick
#60 Posted : 04 January 2019 09:36:55
Groups:

R2D2 Builder wrote:
Tomick:

It is the New Year, where are we at with the two + year battery issue? I just received pack 24 in the mail and would like to order batteries soon.
We are working on it