Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Samson's KDY15 Options
samson
#1 Posted : 28 December 2018 22:56:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone .
yes i have put cutty sark on the shelf, but i have got hands in a model of a kdy 15 - junior boat. Denmark's oldest class boat constructed in 1928. kdy stands for Royal Danish Yacht Club. The club was founded on July 3, 1866, and 15 is sail arial. the boat was intended as a school boat for young people in the Danish sailing clubs. for that, it quickly got stuck on the name Junior boat. And in my childhood in the 60's, they were to bee seen in every marina. In the 70's, it was also launched in fiberglass. Today there is a long time between you see them now other and more fashionable boat types have taken over.
In 1986 to 1990, I was the owner of one - NR 274 "Beat" built in 1961 for Hvidover sailing club.
over 400 of them have been built over time, but today it is "adult" men who sail them according to the pictures that are on the web. The link below is for an enthusiastic junior boat's website

http://kdyjunior.dk/?pag...mp;file=SeasonsEnd2012/

as you can see there is a lot to do and the first thing is to sew new sails. so I'm soon back with new.
greet Jens.

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 29 December 2018 09:01:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

BigGrin Hi Samson

That looks a labour of love but im sure it will be to your usual standard and have fun with the restoration.

AndyCool
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
Gandale
#3 Posted : 29 December 2018 09:50:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

A really interesting restoration project for you and am sure it'll will be done to your usual very high standard. I look forward to seeing this moving forward.... Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 29 December 2018 09:55:35

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Tech Support, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

It will be great to see it fully restored.Cool

Mark
samson
#5 Posted : 29 December 2018 12:26:05

Hi Andy , Alan and Mark
Thanks for warm welkom back . BigGrin
Yes cutty sark must waith . this little lowly boat has first priority .
i must admit i got sentementendel thnking of wat becom of my old Junior boat .
ennyway her is a little more storry :

The model was built according to original drawings in 1:10 by a father who had the idea of building it right 1: 1 to his daughter back in the early 1980s and then they should be followed on the summer holidays in their folk boat and daughter in the junior boat. however, the idea never turned out to be ,but the father got this model built in 1:10. I bought the model of the son-in-law cheaply in the bought and sold newspaper and wondered whay he could sell it with the moving story.
But there are also things to fix. fex. at some point someone has changed at the keel - probably because they have seen the possibility of sailing with the model and found it necessary to get a deeper and heavier keel for the stability. I also suspect the rother to be too short because of the same embrace.

just a picture of the sails after I got them off the mast. they are difficult to live up to. but I have to do my best.

Now back to warke

Cheers Jens
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 29 December 2018 15:13:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Good to see you back and that things are a lot better. Cool

Your restoration project looks like it will keep you busy for a while, but I`m sure you`ll make a fine job of it.

Following with interest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

samson
#7 Posted : 29 December 2018 16:27:56

Hi Derek Thanks for righting to me
Yeas i think i hawe a project in hade of mee . but i like it .
Il showe you a pic - infack the only pic i have of my Junioreboat " Beat " it is early spring 1986 im the first to be lonched back in warter this year - the boats you se around has stayed over vinther in warther . and im properly the boat in Hundige haber this yaer to bee saling the most days , as i was ther nerly day and naight that year -

samson
#8 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:51:45

Hello everyone . I have sewn a few sails, unfortunately not quite the standard I was hoping for but I continue the restoration now and then I might sew a better set later.
Wiererne - on the mast is of stiff wire. I've got a soft (real Wierer) in 1.1mm - it's a gear cable for a racing bike. I'm in the process of making brace screws - don't know the name of English but hope the drawing makes sense. It is to tighten the mast with.

Cheers .

Jens
Gandale
#9 Posted : 30 December 2018 11:18:51

Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Good to see her progressing, the labour of love has started.... Lovely work and looking good so far....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
samson
#10 Posted : 30 December 2018 13:40:54

Thanks Alan
it shure is great to bee woarking on models again , - just a smale updat it seems the wierer tighendener woarks .BigGrin

happy new year to you
jens.
samson
#11 Posted : 30 December 2018 21:15:29

the mast is raised and held by wire clamped

Jens
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 30 December 2018 23:23:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

That`s a great improvement well done.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 31 December 2018 08:32:58

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

BigGrin Looking good and the turnbuckles worked a treatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#14 Posted : 31 December 2018 09:20:49

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Tech Support, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Nice work, looking excellent.Love

Mark
Gandale
#15 Posted : 31 December 2018 10:00:20

Making great progress, lovely work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
samson
#16 Posted : 31 December 2018 12:24:13

Hi Derek , Andy , Mark and Alan good newyear to you all.
and thank you for your positive fit back. And Andy thanks for telling me the right word turnbuckles , it's nice to know who sails.
I have mounted the front seal so that it can be easily put on and removed again. I have used 3mm brass pipes and cut a track that looks a bit like a S, you holler the sail 90 degrees to the wire and secure in and then turn up in to vertical.

I am now going to restore the keel and the rother. It looks like someone has changed these at some point to sail with the model and then wanted a deeper and heavier balance point
enny way it is gravel in my eyes to look at and MUST be fixed.

The lead keel has been moved further down and adapted to this new position so that it does not fit the original position anymore, as it is now too small here.
many holes have also been drilled in the lead and filled with balsa wood - he who has built the model has been serious about the messurments and weight being akurate - in fact the keel is iron - not the heavier lead.

Cheers All

Jens
samson
#17 Posted : 01 January 2019 22:11:45

Hello again
I think the rudder is a little too short and "pointed" at the bottom
It probably happened when they changed the keel. I increase the length of both the tiller and the rudder blade.

cheers .
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 02 January 2019 08:08:41

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool

samson
#19 Posted : 02 January 2019 17:10:21

Hi Andy. Thanks for komment .

I don't plan on sailing with the model but I can't live with the keel being as "wrong" as is the case. even if it is painted and not to bee seen at the end

So there is no way out
I have to make a new keel.

So i make a wood model of the keel schape. and karst it in tinn .

I gues this is the point of no return .

BigGrin It could be so much worse . -- lucky me Cool

Cheers All

Jens.
Gandale
#20 Posted : 02 January 2019 19:48:27

Doing a great job with this, really nice work on modifying the keel.... very well done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan