Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Loose connections...screws not seating and cannot tighten components in place Options
ArelbeHB
#1 Posted : 01 April 2019 00:59:56

Groups: Registered

To all...has anyone else had problems with parts not fitting together tightly? In constructing the body, I have found that none (very few) of the screws with the kit seat properly, thread in all the way. Whole body seems rickety and can't be tightened further. Is there some way to tighten the screws further? Have just mounted the doors on my build and cannot tighten the MD13 screws all the way to where they set against the body frame. Like the trunk lid and the entire front end, the doors and other operable components are loose and wobble in place. Even the plastic screws do not tighten fully to the body (AKA wipers, antenna, side view mirrors, license plate. Nothing fits snuggly. What is my problem...please advise!!!!
rpmracing18
#2 Posted : 28 April 2019 23:25:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

ArelbeHB wrote:
To all...has anyone else had problems with parts not fitting together tightly? In constructing the body, I have found that none (very few) of the screws with the kit seat properly, thread in all the way. Whole body seems rickety and can't be tightened further. Is there some way to tighten the screws further? Have just mounted the doors on my build and cannot tighten the MD13 screws all the way to where they set against the body frame. Like the trunk lid and the entire front end, the doors and other operable components are loose and wobble in place. Even the plastic screws do not tighten fully to the body (AKA wipers, antenna, side view mirrors, license plate. Nothing fits snuggly. What is my problem...please advise!!!!

Hard to believe nobody's answered you. Some here are pretty good at answering members questions 'cause they're pretty knowledgeable of these builds.

Anyway, I find it helpful to start the screws and then back them out to empty the cut shavings so the shavings don't clog up the thread cutting. That would be one way that your screws are not seating. Seems you're far enough along that you may have already known what I'm saying.

Hope the Best

Rich
usersteve83
#3 Posted : 29 April 2019 19:59:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I had the same issue on quite a few of the stages, as Rich says try and back the screw out of the hole and clear the shavings, second thing I done was put the screw without the parts first that should make it easier when fitting said parts and last worked for me was apply a tiny amount of grease to the thread to assist.
Have you double checked the screws? They are very easy to get mixed up with each other
Hope this helps
Steve
Built- Shelby Mustang, Lamborghini Huracan
Building-Spitfire, Redbull racing RB7, 3d printer, Honda CB750, Stage coach and Revell 1/400 Titanic
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 29 April 2019 20:06:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Administrators, Global Forum Support

I had a few problems too.
Sorry I didn't notice your original post a while ago.

The biggest bug was the doors. No matter what I did, they wobbled on the body.
In the end, I gripped the fixing screws in a good pair of pliers, and shortened them by about 1.5mm each using a bench grinder.

No problem after that.

I've just completed the Countach and on that one, many of the screws that go into the body or chassis seemed a tad too long.
Same fix...

Roy.