Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dontshootme-My build Options
Dontshootme
#1 Posted : 15 June 2010 18:50:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts
Groups: Registered

Well...it's time I started my build & diary.
First off i'll show you my workspace.

Sorry about the glare,I had bright sunshine streaming in the window.Desk is actually a rather nice marriage,glass top is from a table that a neighbour was going to throw away because the bottom shelf had been broken,when I said I could find a use for it she gave it to me.With a cupboard at each end placed far enough apart to allow a seat to be pushed under it left a ridge at each end,this I sorted with a piece of sticky back plastic (not forgetting a pair of Val's old knickers!...get down Shep!)covered mdf glued down.As the glass still had attachments for legs on it I drilled a hole to correspond with each one into the tops of the cupboards..result-a desk that isnt going anywhere in a hurry..it weighs a ton!!
Tool racks are actually magnetic knife racks & the tools are strictly not for pc work-I keep them seperatly although I do use the desk for working on pc's as well,although it can't be seen I have made an earth point so that I can clip my anti-static strap to it when I am inside a pc.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Dontshootme
#2 Posted : 15 June 2010 19:01:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts

Well,I picked up the courage to start the launch & straight away I had a problem,there were no support pieces for the jig.Luckily I had some narrow although thicker ply from the parts of my other build so I made to supports from that instead.
I started to photograph the launch but then my batteries died on me so only have a couple.

On this next one I had actually managed to find the macro button on my camera,sorry Stedders..no daylight bulbs yet,still trying to impress on the bank manager(oh hello dear!) the importance of spending an absolute fortune on bulbs...who said spotlights would be a good idea?Now i have to get 4 bulbs!oops..that would have been me!

No that's not a gaping hole in the bow..its a piece of me...damn superglue!

I'm not entirely happy with the way it's come out but hopefully with the aid of some filler & judicious sanding it will look a lot better...if not there is always the back-order option..we shall see.
Dontshootme
#3 Posted : 15 June 2010 19:06:23

The only other thing I have got done is the jig & keel,oh & most of the frames assembled,got 3 that I have to iron.
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 15 June 2010 21:13:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking real good mate, so does your work area, now I'm jealous...Drool
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Capt Stedders
#5 Posted : 15 June 2010 21:59:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

Dontshootme wrote:

sorry Stedders..no daylight bulbs yet,still trying to impress on the bank manager(oh hello dear!) the importance of spending an absolute fortune on bulbs...who said spotlights would be a good idea?Now i have to get 4 bulbs!oops..that would have been me!

Just tell your bank manager that you'll be helping to save the planet (at only 30W instead of 150W a bulb, - that'll be four bulbs using up far less power than two 100W ones - you'll save a few bob on electric - practically paying for the bulbs several times over before they give up the ghost).

So: you'll get brownie points for being environmentally friendly, saving money on energy bills AND be able to see what you are doing without straining your eyes (saving money on specs too!)

It's win, win, win all the way!

Quote:

No that's not a gaping hole in the bow..its a piece of me...damn superglue!

LOL LOL Laugh

Quote of the week, period.

I think we've all been there, done that - but it's the first time I've actually seen photographic evidence.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Dontshootme
#6 Posted : 23 July 2010 16:00:05

After much work spent filling,sanding etc to a point where I was fairly happy with my launch I proceeded to paint it.
Unfortunately for some reason the low tack masking tape I used when doing the banding took everything in that area back down to bare wood.Cursing
At this point I decided to get issue 6 again & restart the launch.
This time I was really pleased,planking was perfect,no gaps anywhere & only the smallest amount of filler to be applied Cool following Stedders advice I armed myself with a tin of Halfords spray Filler/Primer (excellent recommendation by the way)& sprayed the launch,this highlighted a couple of areas that needed a bit more filler which I proceeded to do.
Before applying another coat of primer I added the wash strakes & filed the oar slots,it was at this delicate stage of proceedings that a baby seagull decided my open window was a good place to crash land Crying resulting in me totally knackering the top starboard plank Cursing
After returning the offending flying rat to the great outdoors where it belongs I decided to try to repair the damage by carefully cutting the damaged section of plank out & scarfing a new section in.

I still have to put a new wash strake on & refile the slots but overall I am happy with my repair job & once the new strake is in position you won't be able to see that the repair was ever done.
Mac
#7 Posted : 24 July 2010 18:03:59

Dontshootme wrote:
After much work spent filling,sanding etc to a point where I was fairly happy with my launch I proceeded to paint it.
Unfortunately for some reason the low tack masking tape I used when doing the banding took everything in that area back down to bare wood.Cursing
At this point I decided to get issue 6 again & restart the launch.
This time I was really pleased,planking was perfect,no gaps anywhere & only the smallest amount of filler to be applied Cool following Stedders advice I armed myself with a tin of Halfords spray Filler/Primer (excellent recommendation by the way)& sprayed the launch,this highlighted a couple of areas that needed a bit more filler which I proceeded to do.
Before applying another coat of primer I added the wash strakes & filed the oar slots,it was at this delicate stage of proceedings that a baby seagull decided my open window was a good place to crash land Crying resulting in me totally knackering the top starboard plank Cursing
After returning the offending flying rat to the great outdoors where it belongs I decided to try to repair the damage by carefully cutting the damaged section of plank out & scarfing a new section in.

I still have to put a new wash strake on & refile the slots but overall I am happy with my repair job & once the new strake is in position you won't be able to see that the repair was ever done.

Hi Rob, at least you were able to make good after all your hard work. Wot a really freaky accident! It could have worse the bird could have smashed into victory herself expecially if she was riggedCrying
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

willz
#8 Posted : 24 July 2010 18:10:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Wow so when the launch is finished you`ll be able to say that you had a real seagull on the starboard bow, hows that for authenticity
Boaz
#9 Posted : 24 July 2010 19:31:18

I'm afraid that said baby sh***hawk would be flying round with a launch shoved up its................Cursing
Well, you know what I mean.Wink

Bob
Dontshootme
#10 Posted : 24 July 2010 21:35:59

They are a constant menace round here,they use the rooftops for nesting & the parents attack you.One part of Burnham the postman has to wear special gear for protection as a few years ago a postie ended up in hospital with a fractured skull after being dive bombed.
Of course when the youngsters start learning to fly they end up everywhere,first time i've had one in the window though,they usually end up doing an extremely good window licker impression on closed windows!
Boaz
#11 Posted : 25 July 2010 20:53:48

Know what you mean.
I live in Llandudno spitting distance from the prom.
They've got two bloody great lumps of rock to nest on but most of them seem to have plonked themselves next to my gaff.Cursing Cursing

Bob
Dontshootme
#12 Posted : 13 November 2010 20:45:59

Crikey,didn't realise my last diary post was in July...how time flies!
When I left my last entry I was repairing damage to my launch caused by a young seagull...here is what that side looks like now

Here is the interior,I did a bit of scratching as well as adding a photo-etch grapnel,I am quite pleased with the result although I can see where things could be improved.

After all the trials & tribulations of fairing the hull I have planked the middle gun deck using tanganyika,I was going to dutch oil it but varnished it with matt clear varnish instead(only because I forgot that I was going to use dutch oil!!Blushing)

I have just finished planking the stern gallery undersides & am very happy with the result,although it did take a bit of jiggery pokery to fit 8 planks I got there in the end,it does need a good sanding before anything else is done to it though.
I have used Colin's example of simulating the caulking so that I have the option of being able to stain/varnish the hull instead of my original plan of definitely painting it.I will see what the planking looks like before making the final decision.
tom.ganc
#13 Posted : 14 November 2010 00:31:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That's one nice build mate. Keep it up.
jonny7england
#14 Posted : 14 November 2010 09:25:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Its looking pretty damn good mate...keep the picture coming...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
ArtfulBodger
#15 Posted : 14 November 2010 10:00:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice start, I'm very impressed by the organised work area, most envious.The launch looks good, awaiting further pics of the build. Have you ever tried stuffing Seagulls?
ArtfulBodger

Previous Build:
HMS. Bounty
Dontshootme
#16 Posted : 13 February 2011 15:46:49

After many trials,tribulations,restarts & much gnashing of teethBlink I finally finished planking the upper hull.I actually restarted 3 times because I wasn't happy with the results..sadly no pics..camera memory card went funny & won't allow me to access it Crying so had to use a another one for these pics.

I have also made a rough trial jig to hold the hull while I plank the lower half

The rear of the hull just aft of the first step sits in the grooves while the cross piece between the grooves sits just behind a bulkhead stopping the hull moving backwards,the grooves prevent sideways movement.

At the bow end the fore deck sits on the block & the smaller pieces prevent sideways movement..this setup keeps the hull more or less horizontal & protects vulnerable parts of the planking from being damaged,a block will be placed between the upper gallery planks & foam taped to it to protect from damage in this area

The prototype being tested.Not pretty but functional so may just use this one anyway.