Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Dontshootme-Thermopylae Options
Dontshootme
#1 Posted : 15 June 2010 19:46:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts
Groups: Registered

Hi,this is my in between build Sergal's S.V. Thermopylae.I decided to get something smaller & easier than the Victory so that any beginners mistakes would be made on something that cost less than £70.

Have to say I felt a bit daunted when I opened the box,especially when I looked at the 2 double sided sheet plans..all in Spanish!!Luckily there is an extremely well written translation booklet included so it isn't as bad as first impressions.
I must say,the fittings included are superb,especially the brass decorations for the beakhead.All in all I am very pleased at the quality of the kit.

For anyone interested in this model I got it at Cornwall Models
There is an optional sail kit for an extra £45 but at the moment I am not sure which route I want to take,I like the look of models in full sail but I also like them with just the rigging.I may just get some sail making cloth & make some furled ones,must look back through because someone..I think it may have been zeptrader,was telling us about this very thing on a build he is doing & found somewhere that sold material of good quality at a cheap price,thought I had save a link but obviously not..oh well..
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Dontshootme
#2 Posted : 15 June 2010 19:48:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 posts

So far all I have done is assembled the ribs & false deck,these have to be done at the same time,ribs first then deck...what a fiddly job trying to keep it all square!
andylangtree
#3 Posted : 15 June 2010 20:17:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing this build as i thought of getting this kit before i got the Cutty Sark. Please keep pics coming of your progress.
Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 15 June 2010 20:37:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

andylangtree wrote:
Please keep pics coming of your progress.

I'll second that.

I'm sure the experience you gain by building this model will prove your money was well spent. Besides which, space permitting of course, is it possible to have too many wooden ship models?

Laugh

Don't go getting burnout though - there is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing'.

Cool
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Zeptrader
#5 Posted : 15 June 2010 21:09:56

Groups:

Hi Rob, first here is the link for the sail coth

http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/23.html

I am tempted by this model as well, cheap as chips, but well worth having a go before the Victory.
Dontshootme
#6 Posted : 15 June 2010 21:55:36

Many thanks for that Colin,how did you find the quality of the cloth?
Zeptrader
#7 Posted : 15 June 2010 21:59:25

Groups:

Its superb, perfect for what we want to do. The cost is even better, in fact you wont be dissapointed, I wasnt.
Get hold of some thread to go with it, think its on the same page.

Just to add that you will need some very sharp scissors to cut this material, at least that's what I've been told.
andylangtree
#8 Posted : 15 July 2010 14:03:55

Hi mate, browsing net and found this site, you cannot download pics but you can zoom in.
http://www.powerhousemus...ion/database/?irn=211834
Dontshootme
#9 Posted : 15 July 2010 15:37:13

Many thanks for that Andy,wonder why they show he ar black though.
I did find a picture of a model built by a sailor who was serving on her from the time
she was launched & it definitely shows her as green,trouble is I can't find it anymore,we had a powercut before I could bookmark the page...Cursing
andylangtree
#10 Posted : 15 July 2010 15:43:55

The pics show as green on my monitor and reading the text on the page it says

She had a graceful yacht-like hull, with green topsides, above the yellow metalling of the underwater body.
cliffweld
#11 Posted : 15 July 2010 16:03:13

found this on ebay and thought it may be of use to you-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLIPPERS-RECORD-STORY-S-V-THERMOPYLAE-/140423718409?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item20b1e7e609
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
Dontshootme
#12 Posted : 15 July 2010 16:23:16

Many thanks for the link to the book Cliff.
Andy,many apologies...it does show as green...just looked on another pc.....think my monitor may be on the blink.
Dontshootme
#13 Posted : 23 July 2010 16:17:59

Thanks to Cliffweld I am now the proud owner of a book on the Thermopylae,many thanks for the heads up on that Cliff.
As for progress,unfortunately my camera has been in for a service so I have not been able to take any shots en route as it were,however the first layer of planking has been done & I am in the process of sanding & filling so that I have as smooth a base as possible for the 2nd layer

as you can see the frames come to all sorts of different heights,befor the deck is laid these all have to be cut level with the deck base & the bulwars profiled to much the levels,ie the 2 steps at the bow end will become a gentle curve to midships & then gently rise again so that a very low profile shows above the poop deck.
All in all I am quite happy with the progress I have made & the planking has been excellent practice for the old lady,there is a definite improvement from about halfway through the starboard side(which I started first) & things just got better,in fact when I built my 2nd Victory launch I had no gaps between planks at all.
Apologies for the picture quality but its done on a camera phone.
alantait
#14 Posted : 23 July 2010 17:51:06

Hi Rob, keep up the good work, shes looking good, my model has gone as far as the hull and some deck fittings. I look forward for inspiration from you to finish of the model
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
Dontshootme
#15 Posted : 02 August 2010 14:43:48

After many painstaking hours I have finally finished 2nd planking,sanded & sealed.I just need to give it another sand with fine wet & dry & recoat with sealer(when I replace my brush Cursing)
I am quite pleased with the way it has turned out & quite like the natural wood effect even though its only sealant & not varnish.The build actually calls for varnish below waterline & dark stain above,however,as I was totally unsure of how my first attempt would look I had already decided to paint & copper clad the bottom.
As I bought this to be a practice piece for all the techniques required for Victory I intend to carry on & do the coppering & painting but feel that I was maybe a bit too harsh on my own ability.
The only other thing done so far is the removal of the frames above deck level,these were there so that planking could be done & to provide a profile for the flaring of the bulwarks at the bow,next step is the deck planking.

andylangtree
#16 Posted : 02 August 2010 15:22:20

Looking really good and planking looks ace, congrats.
Jack Sparrow
#17 Posted : 02 August 2010 16:59:53

Groups:

Very impressed sir!!!!Drool Cool BigGrin
jonny7england
#18 Posted : 02 August 2010 17:31:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow!! very nice in deed mate...cracking job...keep the pictures coming..ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mac
#19 Posted : 03 August 2010 00:23:50

It really looks great matey, is this ur maiden build? either way I'm impressedBigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

Dontshootme
#20 Posted : 03 August 2010 10:13:11

Thanks for the kind words guys,not forgetting the lady of course.
Yes Pam it's my first attempt,I was fortunate enough to be given it as a thankyou but I was going to buy it anyway as at just over £70 I thought it would be cheaper to make a mess of this than go in blind on the Victory & mess that up.
However I am determined to make as good a job of it as I can so that I can give it back to the lady who gave me it,sadly her husband bought it but passed away suddenly before it arrived,he was a great advocate of scratch building details & adding embellishments so I feel it fitting that I am going to be doing my own mods to the stock kit ie paint & coppering.