Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gallery Planking Options
Sinbad
#1 Posted : 12 December 2013 11:58:50

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

OK.After some meditation and encouragement from my fellow modelers I started the planking today. As per instructions I started with the Stern Gallery planks. After reading them 2 or 3 times I thought "No sweat".
Well, was I wrong. First thing I find when I did a dry fitting of the middle plank was that the 2 double supports (32) are holding the plank about 2 or 3mm above the middle supports, which means it will give the planking a curved effect. I'm guessing this is not the desired effect.
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 12 December 2013 12:09:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Sinbad,
If you can post a pic of this it would be a big help, I do have a good idea of what you are talking about though.
If the the 2 double supports are holding the planking too high then the central ones may not be pushed down far enough into the bulkhead (31). If they are pushed in properly then a sanding off to level the 2 double supports with the rest should do the trick. On another point - you need to make sure that the bulkhead (31) is pushed down as far into the slot as it can go as some builders (me included) have ended up with this sitting too high and needing to be reworked at a later stage.
Post a pic and lets have a look at itBigGrin
Steve
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 12 December 2013 13:26:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi
@Dominic, I got the impression that he means that while a plank is laid across all the supports the plank is in fact only touching the outer supports at each end (the double ones) then there is a small gap under the plank on all other supports between the 2 outers?
Steve
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 12 December 2013 13:31:09

Sinbad
#5 Posted : 12 December 2013 17:34:42

Thanks for the response guys and the advise. Since posting my query I hsve seen another post where some have had the same problem.
AS far as I'm aware every thing is 'pushed down' etc. Anyway if it weren't it would be a job to unglue it all.
It's not really a biggie as I can use some thin wood shims or cardboard.
Thanks again.
stevie_o
#6 Posted : 12 December 2013 18:07:15

Hi Sinbad,
What Dominic and I were saying is you don't need to use shims under the planks, the planks are meant to curve to match the supports so when viewed from the stern with the ship the right way up the planking will curve gently upward. This is why you need to pin the planks as they will want to lay straight.
Steve
Sinbad
#7 Posted : 12 December 2013 22:04:07

Whewww ! Thanks Stevie. I had a feeling but wasn't really sure. Lucky I didn't start sanding.
They don't really make this clear in the instructions.
Thanks again.